Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Element transducer choices, wooden boats
11-22-19, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-19 01:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Element transducer choices, wooden boats
Hello, After exhaustive research for a simple chart plotter to switch between my boats as needed, I was most impressed with the Element series. The two models seem to meet most my criteria which was: price point, large screen but small size and form, simple maps and navigation mostly on inland lakes, rivers and costal areas, upgradable to radar, systems monitoring, and a shallow water sonar so to see the bottom clearly for snorkeling and scuba diving. Less important but a big plus would be occasional fish finding for the crew or guests. The snag seems to be that both of the boats I own are trailerable, antique wooden boats. The sailboat has a transom but it sits above the water line and my powerboat is a fantail launch, no transom at all, so best possible transducer would be a flush bronze Thru-hull (for both boats). It appears from the literature available that the only thru-hull transducer that will work with the Element S and HV is the HV-300, which is plastic and not flush. Is this correct? If so, is there a way to adapt a different transducer than the HV-300 or any future plans to introduce an appropriate Bronze thru-hull for the Element series for wooden boats? I liked the eS Series but it just seems crazy (and unlikely) that I will spend 3 or 4 times my budget for a unit that has much more capabilities than needed or will ever be used, just for the lack of a bronze Thru-hull for the Element. Thank you in advance for any advice or recommendations!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-19, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-19 12:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Element transducer choices, wooden boats
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum NLNATL,

Thanks for your interest and feedback concerning Element products.

Q1. It appears from the literature available that the only thru-hull transducer that will work with the Element S and HV is the HV-300, which is plastic and not flush. Is this correct?
A1. At this time, Raymarine is only offering plastic thru-hull transducers for the Element displays. Raymarine has not announced whether bronze or stainless thru-hull HV transducers will be offered. That said, any such new transducers would be virtually identical in appearance/dimensions to the HV-300 transducer. This shape is dictated by the type of sonar imaging which is supported by the Element displays.

Q2. If so, is there a way to adapt a different transducer than the HV-300 or any future plans to introduce an appropriate Bronze thru-hull for the Element series for wooden boats?
A2. See my response to Q1. At this time, Element displays are exclusively compatible with HV transducers.
11-23-19, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-19 04:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck, that information is exactly what I was not clear about and hoping to confirm. After re-starting research from flush bronze transducers back to the MFD's that they support, I find myself back to the Element HV. I think just the chart plotter alone is worth the investment and might take a chance that Raymarine will someday offer the bronze transducer option but have two questions before I take a leap of faith.

Question #1. Because of limited space in my bilge, I will have to place the transducer closer to my old analog depth gauge sounder, (which still works great) than the recommended 39 inches. I am not sure how the old sending unit operates but if I put it on a switch on it to turn it off, is there any reason the HV-300 will be affected by the dormant unit (magnets?) if placed 18 or 20 inches away?

Question # 2. Since I will be fulfilling all my needs and also saving a thousand or two $ by going with the Element HV, i'm getting more comfortable with a transducer that is not flush on the boats that will be on and off their trailers. Both of my old wooden boats have keels that protrude less or about 4 inches and keeping the transducer as close as possible to the keel will offer it the needed protection from the the bunk equipped trailers. Since the displacement hull dead rise in that area is less than 10 degrees, how close to the wooden keel can the transducers be placed without interfering with the downward cone angle? (sorry, could not find a cone angle specification in the available literature). I'm hoping that a pair will not be necessary. Thank you again for your insights and recommendations. NN
11-25-19, 09:32 AM
NLNATL,

Q1. If I put it on a switch on it to turn it off, is there any reason the HV-300 will be affected by the dormant unit (magnets?) if placed 18 or 20 inches away?
A1. Not likely. The solution of switching which sounder will be used would indeed be an acceptable approach to avoid any adverse sonar effects to either system. Please note that Element's ping may be disabled via the Fishfinder settings menu.

Q2. How close to the wooden keel can the transducers be placed without interfering with the downward cone angle?
A2. It would typically be recommended that the transducer be located no closer than 12" to the keel and that it not be located in direct line with a prop (outside of the swing of the prop) to avoid aeration of the prop of planing hulls. The low power/high frequency CHIRP conical sonar characteristics of the HV transducers is very similar to that found within RealVision, DownVision, and CPT-S transducers (i.e. 25 degree cone angle), albeit transmitting at 1/2 of the wattage (100W vs 200W).
11-25-19, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-19 11:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for your very informative responses to my questions. You have given me confidence to proceed with my choice and helped me feel like an expert on this particular MFD. Since the Element series is a new product in an expanding market, it is difficult to imagine that Raymarine would not someday improve the units capabilities to include wooden hulls. Because the two boats have survived nearly 40 years with only a paper charts and depth sounder, I will go ahead and purchase the Element HV and be content only using the chart plotter function until the time when a bronze thru hull becomes available. It could be a win now and win later solution! Thank you (and Raymarine) again for this forum and the service it provides! NN
11-25-19, 11:16 AM
You're welcome.