Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] I70s and ITC-5 wind problem
11-23-19, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-19 10:54 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] I70s and ITC-5 wind problem
Hi,

I installed the I70s System pack (Wind, Depth, Speed) two months ago. I have had some trouble with the speed/log coming on and then disappearing and going to 0.

Everything else has been working fine until now when i appear to have lost both wind direction and speed. The ITC-5 light for wind in the unit is flashing slow pulses as if to say its not connected. The cable is one continuous cable with no junction boxes from the mast head to the ITC-5 so i'm not sure what has happened. Looking from ground level the cups are turning and the wind direction arm is turning.

Can anyone advise what to check next? I've checked all the terminations and spade terminals in the ITC-5 and all are tight.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-19, 05:30 AM
RE: [LW11] I70s and ITC-5 wind problem
Dear fozzy83,

Thank you for your post.

What software are you running on the iTC-5?

Is your STng backbone installed correctly and terminated with a terminator at each end?

Is there a healthy 12v power supply going to the iTC-5? The wind transducer is power from the iTC-5 and if there is not sufficient power the instruments will not show any data.

There is also a test you can perform using a voltmeter to ensure the transducer is functioning, further information is available here.

What else is on your network? Can you provide a system installation diagram?

Are you using a triducer for speed and depth?

Many Thanks
Louise
11-30-19, 06:07 AM
Hi Louise

Thanks for your reply

I’m not sure what software I’m running on the itc-5. It was fitted straight from the box to the existing network.

I have a system consisting of a C90W plotter, p70 head and A300 autopilot, digital yacht AIS unit all on the network which I then added the I70s system pack. This consists of the i70s head, wind transducer and tri-data depth transducer. Only wind and depth units are connected to the itc-5 unit.

Speed has not worked yet despite checking connections numerous times and confirming open/closing circuit from the unit when turning the paddle wheel.

Wind and direction and strength was working until this fault. I have completed all the tests however with the red and screen disconnected from the wind connections I get a steady connected light and 8v on the red terminal. When I reconnect and power up the flashing light returns on the wind set of terminals and I can only read 1-2 volts.

Thanks
12-06-19, 09:43 AM
Dear fozzy83,

Thank you for your post.

When testing the wind transducer did you disconnect the cables apart from red and screen, then measure the volts? Did the readings fall within the expected parameters? Can you provide these figures to me.

With just the red and screen connected are you getting the drop to 1-2 volts? This sounds like there is maybe a short in the cable or a fault with the wind transducer. Check the cabling and connections for any breaks in the cabling, joins in the cable that may have a short or signs of corrosion.

How have you installed the iTC-5 to the network? Have you incorporated it within the backbone?

If you go in to the P70 menu - setup - diagnostics - about system, you will be able to view all products on the network and their software revision. The iTC-5 needs to be on v1.12.

Have you an installation diagram you can send?

Many Thanks
Louise
12-14-19, 12:09 AM
Hi Louise

Found what was causing the wind not showing issue. I installed a NMEA gateway from Digital Yacht to be able to get information off the network to USB and therefore the PC. This used the Raymarine adaptor cable to the gateway connected to a STNG backbone.

I haven’t managed to get the unit to work since plugging it in and am working with Digital Yacht to find the issue.

That said as soon as I disconnected the unit my wind speed/direction stopped flashing and I got a steady LED on the Itc-5. Checked the displays and all back on. Not sure why this would happen. The supply for the system all comes from the Autopilot unit. Could I have overloaded my network?

Does not explain why the speed does not display though.
12-19-19, 03:03 AM
Hi Louise

When testing the wind transducer with the other connections removed I was only getting just over a volt between shield and Red. I then tested the resistance between the two connections and got 22 ohms.

I now believe I have a short at the top of the mast. I’ve tested at the junction box at the base and this is fine. Doesn’t explain why speed does not work though even though the ITC-5 indicates no fault.

I’ve added a sketch of my network for you to view. Any advice given the network architecture would be appreciated. I take it the network takes its power supply through the Autopilot control unit, is this correct?

Thanks
12-19-19, 10:14 AM
Dear fozzy83,

Many thanks for your response.

I have taken a look at your diagram and have some questions;

Why do you have an acti-sense gateway connected to a DC power supply?

Can you clarify that all of the depth, speed and wind information is available when the yacht device gateway is disconnected? Remove the actisense and the yacht device and confirm if the iTC-5 is showing the correct information from the transducers.

The red and shield shield on the wind transducer should have an 8v supply, was there an 8v supply when you were measuring the voltages?

Many Thanks
Louise
12-24-19, 06:57 AM
Hi Louise

The actisense unit I believe was connected to an old Navman wind and depth system. I'm not sure why it is connected through the AIS unit though as its connected to the NMEA network itself.

Anyway as suggested i removed the Actisense unit and disconnected the NMEA gateway and still don't have wind speed or direction. The light is flashing as if to show disconnected.

With the wind instrument disconnected i have 8V at the terminals between Red and Shield however once connected it measures 1V.

Like I said i don't believe i should only have 22 Ohms between the Red and Shield to the Mast Head unit. I believe there is a short circuit fault on top of the mast head unit not sure why this would effect the speed log input however i could be unlucky enough to have a faulty Mast Head unit and iTC-5.

Given that they only worked for 3 months, this is very disappointing given the expenditure. I now have to wait for the right weather window to remove unit from the top of the mast.

Thanks for your help so far
01-16-20, 05:56 AM
Dear fozzy83,

This is certainly indicating a short somewhere either in the cable or in the transducer.

Have you got a join in the transducer cable? Make sure this is securely connected and there are no shorts. Check the cable for any sharp bends, nicks or damage.

You can also send the transducer to us for testing, this can be booked in online via the website here.

Many Thanks
Louise