Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Fishfinders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. (/showthread.php?tid=10163)

[CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - BILLFISHER21 - 12-19-19 09:24 PM

Hello,
Thank you in advance for all the information on this forum and the time invested! I have been reading none stop on the correct transducer for my setup and have not found the right option. I have A 28' Inboard diesel straight shaft drive with 24 degree deadrise. I have recently purchased a Axiom Pro Rvx. I will definitely need a thru hull transducer since there is propeller wash off the transom. I regularly fish between 60'- 2000'. I would prefer not to buy a Cp570 in addition to the axiom for now. I need the best sonar option available frequently bottom fish in 1200' and would like to swordfish in 1800' but yet most frequently fish between 80' and 200'. A conical 1k chirp ducer is my main objective for now. I may install a rvx ducer down the road on try one on the transom because its free and i already have it.
Transducer mentioned below are just examples.

Q1. Mounting position should i mount under the front of the engine with a 0 degree thru hull such as pm265hl. Or move onto the deadrise with a flush or fairing blocl application? The boat is trailered but i have it setup to easily work around my current fairing block mounted transducer.

Q2 Which transducer is the best for my application?

Q3 I have a a rv 100 that came with unit. If i transom mounted this unit all the way to one side of the hull opposing rotation of prop would it work? Still 100% need a 1k chirp as well. I just think it would be neat to have the real vision option if at trolling speeds in shallow water.

Thank you!!!

RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-23-19 03:52 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum BILLFISHER21,

General comment: RV transducers are primarily designed to support the needs of nearshore and inshore fishing. When fishing offshore waters, 1kW 50kHz/200kHz or 1kW/2kW CHIRP fishfinder sonar is typically recommended. The primary advantage of an external fishfinder sounder module is that its sole function is to process analog fishfinder transducer signals. As such external sounder modules do not have additional circuitry (ex. displays, WiFi, etc.) which can be a source of signal noise which can adversely affect fishfinder performance. Typically, external fishfinder sonar modules will provide the greatest level of fishfinding performance (depth and image quality) over a MFD's internal fishfinder circuitry. Anecdotal feedback has supported the information supplied above. Accordingly, I have generally recommended that the 1kW CHIRP performance of a dedicated fishfinder sounder module such as the RVX1000, CP470, or CP570 be chosen rather than the internal 1kW fishfinder sonar found within MFDs.

Q1. Mounting position should i mount under the front of the engine with a 0 degree thru hull such as pm265hl. Or move onto the deadrise with a flush or fairing blocl application? The boat is trailered but i have it setup to easily work around my current fairing block mounted transducer.
A1. I have performed a search and have been unable to identify the details of the transducer model which you have listed above.

Q2 Which transducer is the best for my application?
A2. I would recommend considering a RV pair for the shallow water applications. These have a relatively low profile and will be mounted directly to the hull surface. For deep water applications, the B265LM would be a very good choice.

Q3 I have a a rv 100 that came with unit. If i transom mounted this unit all the way to one side of the hull opposing rotation of prop would it work?
A2. Quite possibly at slow / trolling speeds if not trailing behind prop, rudder, thru-hull, or hull feature. However, it may well aerate at a lower speed than would be the case for most transom mounted RV-100 transducers.

RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - BILLFISHER21 - 12-23-19 09:52 PM

Thank you Chuck! I have added a link to the Airmar PM265C transducer. I will not be able to buy a cp470 or 570 for now I will have to make due with the axioms processing for the time being. I will also have to make due with one transducer for now unless I add the rv100 "because its free and if it works at all". Hopefully I can add the Rv ducers later down the road when budget allows.

Q1. Seems the B175 ducer is only one frequency is that correct? If that is true than it would not be the good choice?

Q2. Do you know if there would be any pros - cons between fairing block b265 and pocket mount pm265? Besides the obvious extra labor building a pocket mount receptacle.

Q3. Since I will likely be stuck with one transducer for a while, should I go LH frequency or LM frequency like previously suggested? Will the LM still function decent in the 100' range?

Thank you for all the information. I hope you have an excellent Holiday!

RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-24-19 10:58 AM

BILLFISHER21,

Q1. Seems the B175 ducer is only one frequency is that correct? If that is true than it would not be the good choice?
A1. The product name (ex. B175, B319 B260, B744V, P66, P79, etc.) identifies a family of transducers rather than a single transducer, each of which is designed for a specific manufacturer and fishfinder or instrument product offered by that manufacturer. As such, the transducer's product ID(s) should be used in determining compatibility of the transducer with Raymarine's fishfinding products. The product ID(s) of fishfinder transducers are printed on a tag which is affixed to the plug end of the transducer's cable. Raymarine offers 1kW CHIRP versions of the B175 centered on a low, medium, or high frequency. They may also be configured to transmit a single frequency.

Q2. Do you know if there would be any pros - cons between fairing block b265 and pocket mount pm265? Besides the obvious extra labor building a pocket mount receptacle.
A2. The key to pocket mounts is the quality of the pocket in ensuring a tight and flush fit to prevent aeration of the transducer at planing speeds. In contrast fairing blocks are specifically constructed and tested for performance under such conditions.

Q3. Since I will likely be stuck with one transducer for a while, should I go LH frequency or LM frequency like previously suggested? Will the LM still function decent in the 100' range?
A3. LM is really the choice for the deeper operation that you have specified. If operating in the 100' range. A high frequency will deliver best results in shallower waters.

RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - BILLFISHER21 - 12-26-19 02:20 AM

Thank you. Seems the B265LM as you recommended. Is the best option for me unless I pocket mount. Which seems far more labor intensive and puts the ducer right under the crankshaft of the engine.

Q1. A80011 is this the correct part number for the axiom pro?

RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 Pro Rvx Tranducer best suited for me and my abnormal hull. - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-27-19 10:35 AM

BILLFISHER21,

Q1. A80011 is this the correct part number for the axiom pro?
A1. I believe that you are asking whether the A80011 B265LM may be interfaced to an Axiom Pro RVX MFD's 1kW Transducer socket ... if so, then the answer is yes. This same transducer may alternatively be directly interfaced to a CP470 or CP570 CHIRP fishfinder sounder module.