Raymarine forum
[LW] [LW11] NMEA input on ST5000+ - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [LW] [LW11] NMEA input on ST5000+ (/showthread.php?tid=10454)

[LW11] NMEA input on ST5000+ - sgparkin - 02-04-20 10:03 AM

Advice please!

I'm looking to fit a NASA electromagnetic log (EML-2) to replace a standard analogue paddlewheel log .

The EML-2 has NMEA 0183 output only - sending VHW (speed through water) messages. My problem is how to get these messages to the ST60 tridata depth/speed display. This is connected to the other instruments - including a ST5000+ autopilot head - via Seatalk.

The ST5000+ has a NMEA input but I can't find out if it forwards received NMEA messages to other connected Seatalk devices. Some certainly do but the information on the ST5000+ is vague.

I asked Raymarine tech support - their response was:

"The ST5000 is a very old autopilot so I would not be able to give you absolute assurance it will translate all NMEA0183 messages. We don’t have a unit here to test out unfortunately"

I could buy the Actisense NWG-1 converter to translate NMEA to Seatalk but this costs as much as the EML-2! NASAmarine might be making a NMEA2000 compatible device in future (which I could plug in to the STng network).

Does anyone out there have an ST5000+ using the NMEA input?

RE: [LW11] NMEA input on ST5000+ - Louise - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-06-20 07:04 AM

Dear sgparkin,

Thank you for your post.

The ST5000+ does decode NMEA0183 data to seatalk 1 but only limited sentences, VHW being one of them. This must be the ST5000+ and not the AH5000, there is still no guarantee due to the age of the unit.

Many Thanks
Louise