Raymarine forum
[DG] [DG11] radar and rotating mast - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Radar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=125)
+--- Thread: [DG] [DG11] radar and rotating mast (/showthread.php?tid=10497)

[DG11] radar and rotating mast - Bitibis - 02-07-20 05:13 PM

Hi
i am new on this forum, and I new some help

I have a axion pro and a quantum radar and i want to install the radar on a mast that rotates 40 degrees to each side.

I imagine that when the boat is moving forward the radar will keep on sending me the right information Independent of the position of the radar.
is that so?
when on the axion I put north up or course up all this position is influenced by the GPS and not by the position of the radar antenna??

maybe i will have some bad information from the radar when the boat is stooped and the mast is rotated.

thanks for your help

joao

RE: [DG11] radar and rotating mast - Derek - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-10-20 07:12 AM

Hi Joao,

Raymarine would absolutely not advise mounting a radar on a rotating mast, the radar image is related directly to the physical alignment of the antenna, so not only will your radar picture be misleading and give you a false impression of what is ahead of you, the radar overlay feature of the AXIOM would be useless. the bearing information described by the radar would also be meaningless.

The recommended solution would be to use a 1.5m or 2m Pole on the aft quarterdeck, with the radar on top of that, or use a self levelling mount attached to the backstay.

I trust this helps?
Regards
Derek