Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] remote GPS Antenna - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] remote GPS Antenna (/showthread.php?tid=10827)

[CA11] remote GPS Antenna - BILL MC - 03-26-20 08:00 PM

I am installing a new AXIOM with built-in GPS Antenna. Silverton 372 boat, the Axiom in in the upper helm, under a soft canvas top.
I am currently pulling wires from an elevated radar mast for a new Quantum 2 installation. Boat is on lake Michigan. Question is: Will the built-in GPS antenna be adequate, or should I install a remote GPS antenna now, next to the new radar? Pulling all the wires will be much easier now, than if I find out later in the middle of Lake Michigan that I should have installed the remote antenna... and then later trying to pull the new antenna wire.
Thanks for your opinion on this.

RE: [CA11] remote GPS Antenna - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-27-20 09:12 AM

Bill,

You may well, find that the MFD's internal GPS sensor performs satisfactorily given the location which you have described. That said, if pulling cable, now is the time to do it and I generally recommend that system's be installed with an external GPS sensor to permit other devices dependent upon GPS data to have such data available to them, irrespective of the power state of the MFD. If following through with this recommendation, then a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor would be recommended. Follow the GPS sensor and radar installation guides with regard to locating the GPS sensor.

RE: [CA11] remote GPS Antenna - BILL MC - 03-27-20 01:51 PM

your supplied link takes me to the RS150 antenna- can a GA150 work as well?

RE: [CA11] remote GPS Antenna - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-27-20 02:00 PM

Bill,

Q1. your supplied link takes me to the RS150 antenna.
A1. That was intentional. Unlike the Axiom Pro and Axiom XL MFD, the Axiom MFDs do not feature a GA150 GPS Antenna socket to permit the Axiom MFD to be mated to a GA150 GPS Antenna.

Q2. can a GA150 work as well?
A2. Negative ... see my response to Q1.