Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? (/showthread.php?tid=10913)

Pages: 1 2

[CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - beast123 - 04-07-20 08:25 PM

I currently have an e125 and an e95 on my flybridge. They run through a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. I want to add a an additional e95 to my cockpit so we can use it while fishing. What cable is needed to connect to the switch and will the new e95 have full functionality without interfering with my other MFDs? More specifically will it work independently of my bridge units. I don't want my crew in the cockpit to change what I am seeing on my bridge displays. I also have a Chirp 570, GPS, and AIS transponder. I do have an open port on the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Thanks,
Steve

PS if anyone has an e95 bracket, I could use one.

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-08-20 03:11 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1. I want to add a an additional e95 to my cockpit so we can use it while fishing. What cable is needed to connect to the switch and will the new e95 have full functionality?
A1. Please note that the e9x/e12x MFDs feature two Ethernet (RayNet) ports. Should one of the Ethernet ports of one of the currently installed MFDs not presently be in use, then it may simply be interfaced to the new MFD via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Should no unused Ethernet ports be available, then a second HS5 RayNet Network Switch would then need to be installed. The Gigabit/sec port or two HS5 RayNet Network Switches would be linked to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. Similarly, the MFD to be added would be linked to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q2. without interfering with my other MFDs?
A2. MFDs running LightHouse II software (i.e. a/c/e-Series MFDs) are designed share resources, but to function independently of one another with regard to the information being displayed on each MFD's screen. That said, as resources (ex. radar, fishfinder sounder module, etc.) are shared, changes to the configuration / settings of the shared resource (ex. range, gain, etc.) performed on any of the system's MFDs will be reflected in the performance / features of the shared resource on the other MFDs within the system which will be utilizing that same resource.

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - beast123 - 04-09-20 08:21 PM

Thank you Chuck. I think you have answered my questions. I'm not 100% happy with the answers. It would be nice to have the option for the displays to Opt out so that they can be used independently. A Bored crew watching the trolling gear tend to tinker with the display and this could change the main helm display. I guess as Captain I will just have to lay down the law. Thanks

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-10-20 08:25 AM

Steve,

You're welcome. Unfortunately, software updated (i.e. LightHouse II) for the MFDs which are involved are no longer being produced. Had these been Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs (they run LightHouse 3 software), then a feature request would be logged accordingly consider password access to control the MFD within a future LightHouse 3 software update. The only alternative would be to install a dayligh viewable marine monitor at the remote location, which would in turn repeat the screen image of one of the system's currently installed MFDs.

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - beast123 - 04-10-20 09:58 AM

I currently use a cheap 19" monitor displaying my e125 feed but the resolution is crappy and pixelated. The monitor has lasted two years and 20 trips. A replacement monitor is less than $150. It would not be a marine grade but I have proven to myself the cost trade-off.
So if I understand this correctly, the latest Lighthouse 3 that runs the Axiom MFDs does not have this option either? That seems strange to me. My boat is a 43 Mikelson but any big boat would want the ability to have either a third or fourth display in the salon or cockpit for the crew, wife etc. to be able to monitor and plan tracks etc. What is the output resolution on the Axiom or Lighthouse 3 software? Is it a software or hardware controlled output?
I somewhat understand the planned obsolescence that we all have to live with today, BUT, replacing all my electronics every 5-6 years is frustrating. I also understand that the designs strive but cannot be all things to all people. They are certainly complicated and packed with features.

A second option might be the use of a tablet and App. For the Salon. Can I assume the app changes the main display as well?

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-10-20 10:16 AM

Steve,

Q1. So if I understand this correctly, the latest Lighthouse 3 that runs the Axiom MFDs does not have this option either?
A1. Correct.

Q2. What is the output resolution on the Axiom or Lighthouse 3 software?
A3. The resolution will be that of the transmitting MFD's screen (identified within the specs for each MFD found within the Axiom Installation Guide).

Q2. Is it a software or hardware controlled output?
A2. As indicated above, it is based upon the hardware of the MFD. That said, no cable is used. The MFDs utilize Miracast technology to cast the Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD's screen image to a Miracast dongle (connected to the TV's HDMI port) or SmartTV featuring Miracast technology.

Q3. Can I assume the app changes the main display as well?
A3. The LightHouse II Mobile apps setting (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WIFI->WIFI SHARING->MOBILE APPS) is used to configure whether RayControl app or RayRemote app will be permitted to remotely control the MFD. LightHouse 3 has a similar feature.

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - beast123 - 04-29-20 01:59 PM

So I connected the new E95 to the HSS Network switch and there is no handshake or whatever. The other two MFDs do not see or interface with the new unit. They do see and share data with each other. Is there a trick in getting the new unit to share the data?

I used a 5M seatalk cable attached to the new unit and the HSS network switch. please see the photo. I used the port on the switch where the cap is loose in the photo.

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-29-20 02:51 PM

Steve,

You may choose to connect the MFDs to any of the HS5's RayNet sockets. Have all three MFDs been connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch?

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - beast123 - 04-29-20 03:34 PM

It appears that the two current MFDs are connected to a 5-Way SeaTalkng Connector.
Please see the detail in the pictures. The back of the e125 is shown and the switch and 5-Way SeaTalkng Connector etc. It looks like the e125 goes to the 5-Way SeaTalkng Connector and the rest are also connected there. do i need to rearrange this configuration?

RE: [CA11] 3 MFDs Through HS5 RayNet Network Switch? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-29-20 04:03 PM

Steve,

The MFDs are designed to communicate with each other and with peripherals featuring an Ethernet communications interface (RayNet) via an Ethernet network. Each MFD features two Ethernet (RayNet) Network sockets. Unfortunately, I cannot tell where the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables shown connected to the Network sockets on the back side of one of the MFDs are going. No cable other than power appears to be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. However, I suspect that if you trace the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables, you will find that
- the two MFDs have been interfaced to one another via a length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable
- that one of the MFDs has been interfaced to the CP570 via a length of RayNet Cable; and
- should the system feature radar, then you may find that the Digital Radar Cable has been interfaced to one of the MFDs.

When expanding the network with another MFD, it was necessary to add additional Ethernet (RayNet) Network sockets to the system. It would have also been recommended that the RayNet Cables which are presently interfaced to the back of the MFDs be traced to determine what they are connected to. Once this has been accomplished,
- each MFD should be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable
- the RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable which is interfaced to the CP570
- should the system feature radar, then the Digital Radar Cable should be connected to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.