Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Raymarine autopilot system install help - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Raymarine autopilot system install help (/showthread.php?tid=10929)

[CA11] Raymarine autopilot system install help - gabriel - 04-10-20 02:08 PM

I have purchased a 1996 Hunter 376 and its autopilot is not working.
When turned on, the controller (Raymarine P70S) is in a fixed heading (60 deg), and when engaged, it does not compensate for any heading changes.
After further inspection, I saw the my "system" is only the controller linked directly to the Raymarine rotary drive type 1, through a SeaTalk converter.
I need to install an autopilot.
How do I do it? Just plug it into the SeaTalk connector, next to the controller and the drive??
What kind of ACU do I need? Will an ACU 100 suffice?
Boat weight is 15,000 lbs, length is 37.5 ft.
Thank you for your help.
Gabriel

RE: [CA11] Raymarine autopilot system install help - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-10-20 02:43 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gabriel,

Please note that it is possible for p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head to be use with not only Evolution autopilots, but many many models of legacy autopilot course computers. Except as interfaced to one of its spur (white) sockets, I would not typically expect to hear that a p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head has been interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the autopilot's control head is reporting a heading value and isn't reporting No Pilot, it must be interfaced to other autopilot components. If uncertain of the autopilot equipment which is currently installed onboard the boat, you may want to consider seeking the assistance of a Certified Raymarine Installer.

For all but steer by wire systems, an Evolution autopilot requires the following components:

- EV-1 CCU - functions as the course computer as well as sensing vessel heading, pitch, heel, and accelerations

- drive unit / actuator ... the model is dependent upon the laden weight (manufacturer's specification + 20%) of the vessel, type of steering system, and whether type of drive (ex. wheel, mechanical linear, hydraulic linear, tiller, etc.) desired

- ACU - actuator control unit ... is determined by the model of drive unit which will be installed.

- p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head ... for systems utilizing a Raymarine Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD operating with the latest available software or a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD operating with the latest available software, the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature may be utilized in lieu of an autopilot control head.

As the vessel's laden weight is 18,000 lbs, a Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive would be recommended for this application. This model of drive unit would require that an ACU-200 be installed.