Raymarine forum
[TG] [TG11] B260 transducer - early failure? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: [TG] [TG11] B260 transducer - early failure? (/showthread.php?tid=11226)

[TG11] B260 transducer - early failure? - boudreaux77450 - 05-11-20 11:09 AM

Can somebody HELP before I buy another transducer. I have an old head unit but I still love it, it is an L1250. I buy a B260 thru-hull transducer and they seem to go out real easy or my unit reads 0.0ft. Once I replace the transducer it seems to work AWESOME for a year or so then goes out and reads 0.0ft. What am I doing wrong and why is this transducer so particular? Is there somehow I can clean it and it will work again?

RE: [TG11] B260 transducer - early failure? - Tom - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-13-20 09:08 PM

Hello boudreaux77450,

These transducers don't generally fail frequently like this. There are a few reasons that I can see why you might get repeat failures:
  • The old L125 perhaps isn't operating correctly, and may be outputting at the wrong power or frequency
  • Through-hull bronze transducers need to be installed according to the letter of the installation manual and coated with sealant on the top (and often sides - see your transducer's manual) in order to prevent water ingress into the transducer. If not correctly installed, transducers can get water inside.
  • Use out of the water. Transducers need the mechanical resistance of the water against their face in order to cushion and buffer them and allow them to resonate correctly and present the correct electrical impedance to the sounder. The number 1 reason for failure of high-power transducers is operation out of the water.

I would suggest having your nearest good Raymarine Certified service dealer to test the transducer with an Airmar transducer test set and ideally the output of the display with an oscilloscope or EDI sonar test set in order to find out what is going on.

To answer your last question: no, transducers are sensitive ceramic elements fully potted/sealed into the housing and cannot be opened or serviced.

Regards,
Tom