Raymarine forum
EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 (/showthread.php?tid=1138)

Pages: 1 2

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-28-16 08:20 AM

mswanicke,

Following the Factory Reset operation, data concerning the vessel's devation field has been erased from the autopilot. Upon completion of the Dockside Wizard, the autopilot control head will report "Detecting Magnectics". The autopilot will not have completed sensing of your boat's magnetic deviation fields until it has completed short cruise and the "Detecting Magnetics" progress indicator is no longer displayed. More information concerning this feature may be found here. At that time, maximum detected deviation may be found within the autopilot's diagnostics data.

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - mswanicke - 06-28-16 09:18 AM

I did the factory reset as instructed. I performed the dockside wizard at which time the "detecting magnetics" appeared on the control head. I completed the test drive when the "detected magnetics" notice on the control head reported "magnectics successfully detected and maximum deviation is 1 degree". I look in the Setup/Diagnostics/about pilot and the deviation is 39. I performed this sequence several times with similar results. Should not the value the new "detecting magnectics" feature reports be the same as in the Setup/Diagnotics/about pilot? The difference between the boats compass and the autopilot seems to be only about 4 degrees.

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-28-16 10:39 AM

mswanicke,

I strongly suspect that the value reported within the diagnostics is incorrect. We'll check with another boat's calibrated system and report our findings tomorrow.

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - mswanicke - 07-05-16 11:33 AM

Any report back as to which reading is correct, the "diagnostics" or the new feature?

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-05-16 01:51 PM

mswanicke,

The response from the engineering team is that both the deviation values are correct.

The initial value (as reported by the pop-up) is after the first minimal swing, as the solution is further refined via the continual calibration of EVO and results for larger deviation fields could change significantly over time.

Correspondingly, it is recommended that the EV Sensor Core's installation location be inspected again for sources of potential magnetic fields and any objects capable of producing a magnetic field be relocated. Alternatively, the EV Sensor Core should be tested in a different location. Should there be some concern that the EV Sensor Core is failing, then it should bench checked / serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Oregoncme - 07-05-16 02:28 PM

Thanks Chuck. As usual, great answer.

It it safe to assume that further refinements are being done even if the compass is LOCKED?

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-06-16 08:24 AM

Oregoncme,

Once Compass lock is activated no further calculations are performed.

Please additionally note that with V2.17 code, the maximum advisable deviation is 45 degrees. (this has increased as previously we reported an incorrect figure).

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - mswanicke - 07-06-16 11:43 AM

So am I to understand that with my deviation of 39 I am now within spec and do not need to relocate the EV-1 sensor?

RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-06-16 01:41 PM

mswanicke,

Yes. While prior generations of autopilots would have required a lower maximum detected deviation, 39 degrees is within the specification of an Evolution Autopilot which has been updated with the latest Evolution autopilot software available at the time of this response.