Raymarine forum
[JB] [JB11] Newmar Start Guard - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [JB] [JB11] Newmar Start Guard (/showthread.php?tid=11461)

[JB11] Newmar Start Guard - hubesail - 05-27-20 07:36 PM

Relates to another post about your post on "Installing power circuits for marine electronics". I am going to fully implement your recommendations with proper sized breakers, a fuse block, and add in the Newmar Start Guard for power conditioning.

On the wiring diagram for the Start Guard (not your product I know) it calls for a sensor lead down to the starter solenoid and says in the manual "Whenever 12 VDC is sensed on either of the STARTER terminals, the internal relay will close and bring the internal battery on-line to provide supplemental voltage to the sensitive electronic device. When the starter is disengaged and there is no longer 12 VDC present on either terminal, the relay will open, disengaging the battery."

In your post you say that power conditioning is needed for isolating the electronics from engine starting and other high current equipment like Thrusters, winches, pumps, macerators, etc.

So, the question is whether the Newmar Start Guard really provides that electrical isolation for other than engine starting. I'm just not sure from reading their documentation.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Hube Hopkins

RE: [JB11] Newmar Start Guard - Jules - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-02-20 01:01 AM

Hello hubesail,

To me it seems that you should be posing those questions to the manufacturer of the Start Guard as Raymarine don't support their products. A simpler method would be to connect electronic equipment that is prone to browning out (causing the processors to restart) to a dedicated and totally isolated "Instrument" battery. The engine start battery should be on a separate isolated circuit and connected to the charging circuit via a VSR (Voltage Sensitive Relay) that cuts in only when the battery voltage drops significantly and requires charging. Anything that draws massive current like a thruster or a windlass should be connected to either another battery or only operated when high current is being supplied from the engine or generator.

Hope this helps

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules