Raymarine forum
Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD (/showthread.php?tid=1228)

Pages: 1 2

Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - kingspade - 06-22-16 02:31 PM

I have an issue and Im trying to find the answer for it online and I am unable to find it. Here is my previous question on the old tech forum for a background

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/help-me-understand-the-correct-networking-for-stng-nmea-2k?xg_source=activity

Basically here is the run down of what I have done and what im looking to do..im looking for any ideas or options.

I have a seatalkNG network that is connected to 2- lowrance fuel flow sensors (the newest model) one for each engine. I see the fuel flow data on my MFD, however I only see a total amount of fuel used. I am not seeing each meter/engine separately..

It was my understanding that I would be able to see the fuel rate for each engine separately and not combined. This will do me absolutely no good when I shutdown one motor and troll for 4 hours on it, as my fuel tanks will not be dropping together, they are separate for each motor.

Any help or ideas or questions to help clarify this will be appreciated.

The sooner the better...if you need pics or anything I can provide those as well.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-16 02:56 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kingspade,

When operating with the latest a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software, these MFDs do indeed support fuel rates for individual engines. When configuring the MFD to display fuel rates for a two engine system, the data items to be selected would be:
- Port Engine Fuel Rate: ENGINE->PORT->FUEL FLOW RATE
- Stbd Engine Fuel Rate: ENGINE->STARBOARD->FUEL FLOW RATE

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - kingspade - 06-22-16 03:05 PM

Ok, to be clear, I have to customize my DATA page, while on the data page I have to go through the ENGINE portion rather than the FUEL portion?

Also, do I use the Fuel Management portion? Or should I set that to off? Currently I have it setup and set by FLOW, rather than the estimations.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-16 03:47 PM

kingspade,

Q1: Ok, to be clear, I have to customize my DATA page, while on the data page I have to go through the ENGINE portion rather than the FUEL portion?
A1: Correct.

Q2: Also, do I use the Fuel Management portion? Or should I set that to off? Currently I have it setup and set by FLOW, rather than the estimations.
A2: Displaying fuel data rates for individual engines is not dependent upon the Fuel Manager Feature. The Fuel Manager should be configured ON and configured to use PGN 127497 if the Lowrance Fuel Flow Sensors are transmitting this PGN. If not FUEL FLOW RATE should be selected, and then only estimated fuel data items will be populated.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - kingspade - 06-23-16 09:28 AM

I have a question from your reply, as well as another couple of questions on a different matter

It was my understanding that the units(the newest version produced) did in fact produce that PGN, however when looking at the specifications form the PDF that they have online, it doesn't have that PGN listed. Here are the PGN's listed for each sensor that I have installed:PGNs transmitted

59392 – ISO Acknowledgment
59904 – ISO Request
60928 – ISO Address Claim
126996 – Product Information
127489 – Engine Parameters, Dynamic

Any clarification on the PGN's and the data that I will be receiving to the Raymarine unit would be appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to add each flow meter's data bar on my customized page that I created.
Immediately I had the reading of:

0.00 g/H on the port fuel flow data and
-.-- on the starboard fuel flow ....

I was not able to see each motor individually. Both Fuel Meters were still sending the signals to the MFD as PORT Fuel Flow. So here are my next questions

Q1: Am I correct in assuming that since I was able to see both of the fuel rates, even though they are showing up as PORT FF(fuel Flow) All that remains to resolve this issues is to go into Set-up > System Settings > External Devices > Engines Set-up and then go through the Engine Identification Wizard to assign those sensors to the correct engine? That is what I gathered from the Lighthouse user manual.

Q2: What do I need to do to show the fuel remaining for each tank from the fuel flow that is being used? I am not able to see the gas tanks separately, only as a total fuel renaming and that is resetting as well.

I also noticed that when I powered the MFD and checked my data page, My remaining fuel was reset to showing 116 gallons remaining even though I had previously seen that I burned 10 gallons on a joyride cruise after installing the meters.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-23-16 01:39 PM

I believe that the problem of having fuel rate only populating the port engine's data item is because each NMEA 2000 fuel sensor has been configured with the same NMEA 2000 instance number ... in this case instance 0. The convention with engine and tank related data is that instance numbers start at 0 for the device located farthest to port and then increment from port to starboard. Accordingly, for a vessel with three engines, the port engine would be instance 0, the center engine would be instance 1, and the starboard engine would be instance 2. It is recommended that the manufacturer of the sensor be contacted regarding how to configure its instance number.

The definitions and data items which may be included within a NMEA 2000 PGN may be found here. In this case, fuel rate, and possibly fuel pressure may be included within the PGN 127489.

Q1: Am I correct in assuming that since I was able to see both of the fuel rates, even though they are showing up as PORT FF(fuel Flow) All that remains to resolve this issues is to go into Set-up > System Settings > External Devices > Engines Set-up and then go through the Engine Identification Wizard to assign those sensors to the correct engine? That is what I gathered from the Lighthouse user manual.
A1: Negative. See the opening statement.

Q2: What do I need to do to show the fuel remaining for each tank from the fuel flow that is being used? I am not able to see the gas tanks separately, only as a total fuel renaming and that is resetting as well.
A2: As the PGN 127497 does not appear to be transmitted by the fuel flow sensors, FUEL FLOW RATE should be selected, and then only estimated fuel data items will be populated. Tank level data will only be populated when the system has been interfaced to NMEA 2000 Tank Level sensors.

Q3: I also noticed that when I powered the MFD and checked my data page, My remaining fuel was reset to showing 116 gallons remaining even though I had previously seen that I burned 10 gallons on a joyride cruise after installing the meters.
A3: It is recommended that the instancing issue specified above be addressed before proceeding with investigation this issue.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - kingspade - 07-08-16 09:58 AM

Well...here is where I am at with the fuel flow meters..Ive included the responses from Lowrance as well...Also I have not heard a response from them with my most recent question which is asking them if I could send them one of the meters and have them switch the bus setting and then send the unit back to me..hopefully this will work..if Not I will continue to look for someone that would be willing to hook my meter up to their lowrance system and get the bus switched...

SECOND RESPONSE: Fuel flow sensors always default to Port and it doesn’t really have anything to do with the instance number, which should auto-select once they’re detected on the network. The problem is that since you're trying to set these up with a Raymarine head unit, we won’t be able to walk you through the vessel setup process(number of engines/tanks) and tank capacity. This is where the system will know that you have got more than one sensor in play and you should then be able to go into the device list and name them accordingly.

FIRST RESPONSE: Sorry about the delay. I attached a document on how to setup for port and starboard sensors. It's for an older fuel flow and different unit but method would be the same.

If anyone else has any ideas or things to try, I am up for anything! Also, is there anything else that I can add instrument wise that could do this job?

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-08-16 10:08 AM

kingspade,

I would continue to press Lowrance for information concerning how to change the instances number of the fuel flow sensor for the starboard engine ... additional Lowrance equipment may be required to perform this change. Alternatively, you may want to consider installation of a fuel flow sensor from another manufacturer (ex. Maretron, etc.).

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - kingspade - 07-08-16 11:25 AM

I will continue to be in contact with them...even though they are extremely slow to respond compared to the customer service that I have rec'd from Raymarine, so for that, my hat is off to you guys and your customer service.

I will also ask about more lowrance equipment as well...do you think it will pose a problem if I connect a lowrance gauge for example and its connected to the seatalkNG network rather than the NMEA? Or will the gauge function correctly within the seatalk network? They have a smaller fuel meter that they sent me the documentation on that would allow me to change the bus and it is around 400 or so dollars, however if you purchase without the flow meters its closer to 250.00 I have found some used gauges on eBay that are cheap and function and I am thinking about trying that route as well and then resell once I get the bus configured.

As for the Maretron, I have looked into this, and its a very pricey route to go down since I have already installed and purchased both fuel flow meters and the seatalk network...

I will update this thread as I get responses from Lowrance...If anything I hope to find a solution to this issue as I have found mass amounts of people that are in the same boat and have had issues with the meters. Maybe for the future buyers I will have the solution for them.

RE: Fuel Flow meters not showing correctly on a78 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-08-16 12:58 PM

kingspade,

Q1. do you think it will pose a problem if I connect a lowrance gauge for example and its connected to the seatalkNG network rather than the NMEA?
A1. As indicated within the FAQ addressing integration of NMEA 2000 sensors within a system of Raymarine products, the Raymarine products are not designed to calibrate/configure third party NMEA 2000 sensors. When installing such sensors, it may be necessary to calibrate the sensors via a display (or other hardware device) from the sensor's manufacture or via a computer running an calibration/configuration program from the sensor's manufacturer. In the case of the EP60R Fuel Flow Sensors, it would be recommended that the Lowrance LMF-200 be additionally interfaced to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.