Raymarine forum
Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Networking / System Integration (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network (/showthread.php?tid=2371)

Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Bikerbob - 01-18-17 08:22 PM

Looking for some help clarifying how I should wire this.

I have.

Ev100 - p70 head evsensor and acu100 (all on seatalk ng)

St60 depth and St60 wind

Garmin 441s GPS

I am making a pic of the system on the computer, and will add to this thread tomorrow.

But What I am looking to do is use just a seatalk1 to ng cable from the P70 to say depth then depth to wind then wind to the seatalk/nmea bridge(which has the Chartplotter off of it). Then the other side of the p70 to the ng junction which would have the ev sensor and the acu100 also running into it.

Now as I understand it.. the ACU100 cannot power the ng network. So I need to get power into the junction - so could I run a backbone cable to a T - run a spur to power off that.. and that would power the ng network? I then run separate power into the ACU100 so that can power the wheel drive.

Does this sound correct? or do I need to get a converter KIT in here somewhere??

James

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-19-17 11:19 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum James,

The Evolution autopilot cannot be interfaced to the legacy SeaTalk devices in the manner which you have described. The Evolution autopilot components will each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone which will include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter as a backbone component. The unpowered SeaTalk bus containing the legacy SeaTalk devices will then be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the Garmin 441S manual indicates that it supports NMEA 2000 communications, it too will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. As you have suggested the SeaTalkng will need to be powered, as will the ACU100. Please click here to view a Raymarine Forum thread in which a I had addressed a compatibility issue between the latest Evolution autopilot software and how it may be resolved by downgrading the software within the Evolution autopilot components.

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Bikerbob - 01-19-17 05:55 PM

Thanks for your response Chuck. I did already figure out that I could not just use a cable anymore that the converter kit is the way to go. I am modifying my diagram to suit. I will look at your software issue post - this is to interface with ST60 or ST1 data?

As for the 441s I just realised that I have a 440s - so no nmea2000 just 0183. So I will have to continue to use the nmea / seatalk bridge.

I will post my diagram for anyone who wants to see it.

James

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-20-17 10:26 AM

You're welcome.

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Bikerbob - 01-20-17 11:32 AM

Here is my system diagram done with paint :)

Thanks

James

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-20-17 12:04 PM

James,

For completeness, it is recommended that the power insertion spur be located at the approximate mid-point of the backbone's LEN load rather than at the extreme end of the backbone as is shown within your diagram.

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Bikerbob - 01-20-17 05:02 PM

Ok, I hear you.. but that would require a MUCH longer power cable than was supplied by any kit.. and I would now have to fit not only the backbone cable but a power cable in addition to 2 transducer cables and the Garmin Cable (NOT THIN) all in a 1" guard tube.

SO I have the choice to cut a [censored] on the other side of the pod.. and through the floor of the cockpit sole and split the cables OR live with the power at the one end.

So if I understand - the idea of putting the power split in the middle is that the instruments on the far end of the network don't encounter higher resistance because of length of wire and number of connections?

James

RE: Adding EV100 to Seatalk network - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-23-17 10:08 AM

James,

It appears that you may be confusing the linear midpoint of a backbone with the midpoint of the backbone's LEN load (see the link to the FAQ provided within my prior response). The objective is to have approximately balanced LEN load on each side of the power insertion spur socket. Should it become necessary to do so, then the SeaTalkng power cable may extended using an appropriate length and gauge of marine grade cable.