Raymarine forum
E70153 and ST4000 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: E70153 and ST4000 (/showthread.php?tid=2483)

E70153 and ST4000 - AlexBS - 02-08-17 02:37 PM

Hello
Q:How to connect ST4000 and E70153 in order to use Windvane mode (Windtrim) on ST4000 to get Autohelm Sail to Wind Angle.

I’ve got my boat (Catalina 36, 1985) with ST4000 installed. ST4000 Control head is installed on port side of the boat at the end of the cockpit beside the steering wheel. By tracing the wires, I believe I have following setup - please see first two diagrams.

Couple years ago I have installed Raymarine kit (E70153) with I50/60 Sailpack Wind, Depth, and Speed System.
All i50 and i60 instruments are installed on the cabin wall facing cockpit. Transducers are connected directly to correspondent instruments. The power is provided by SeaTalkng Power Cable (A06049). - Please see attached diagrams for details.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Alex.

RE: E70153 and ST4000 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-13-17 12:26 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Alex,

The i50, i60, i70/i70S, and ST70 Instruments are designed to support either SeaTalk communications or SeaTalkng communications, but they cannot support both simultaneously. Should one of these devices sense that it has been interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone, then it will cease supporting SeaTalk communications and exclusively support SeaTalkng communications.

The following diagram shows a demonstrates the instrument displays being interfaced to one to one another and to the System via a SeaTalk bus:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=780]

The following diagram shows a demonstrates the instrument displays being daisy chained to one another within a single spur and the spur in turn being interfaced to a SeaTalkng backbone:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=781]

One of the features which differentiated the ST4000+ and ST5000+ Autopilots from the ST4000 and ST5000 Autopilots which preceded them was support for a change to the SeaTalk communications protocol. As the ST4000 and ST5000 support the earlier version of SeaTalk communications protocol rather then the later version of SeaTalk communications protocol, Raymarine neither recommends nor supports use of the ST4000 and ST5000 Autopilots with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Should the autopilot be a ST4000+ rather than a ST4000, and should the i50/i60 Instruments have been interfaced to one another via a spur which was in turn interfaced to powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone (recommended), then an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be added to the backbone to bridge data from these instruments to SeaTalk for use by the autopilot. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk ground (silver) and SeaTalk Data (yellow) terminals ONLY of the ST4000's SeaTalk port would then be joined to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having molded press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end. The plug on the ST4000+ end of the SeaTalk Cable will be removed to expose the cable's power (red), Data (yellow), and ground (shield/bare wire) leads. The red lead of this SeaTalk Cable will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting. 1/8" female blade connectors will be crimped onto the SeaTalk Cable's exposed Data (yellow) and ground (shield/bare wire) leads, which will then be mated to matching color coded terminals of the ST4000's SeaTalk port.

However, should the autopilot be a ST4000 rather than a ST4000+, then the i50/i60 Instruments should simply be daisy chained to one another using SeaTalkng Spur Cable. An A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng to Press Fit 3-Pin Adapter or an A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) and to Press Fit 3-Pin Adapter would then be used to interface the daisy chained instrument displays to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. ST4000's SeaTalk port would then be joined to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having molded press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end. The end of the SeaTalk Cable that will be connected to the ST4000's SeaTalk port will need to have its plug cut off to expose the cable's power (red), Data (yellow), and ground (shield/bare wire) leads. 1/8" female blade connectors will be crimped onto the SeaTalk Cable's exposed leads, which will then be mated to matching color coded terminals of the ST4000's SeaTalk port.

RE: E70153 and ST4000 - AlexBS - 02-17-17 10:55 AM

Hello Chuck,

I50/i60 instruments are connected to each other via white Seatalkng spur cable from E70153 kit. Seatalkng spur cables are used only to deliver power to instruments.
All transducers connected directly to correspondent instruments.
Power is provided as follow: +12v -->Inline fuse (5A) --> Seatalkng Power Cable (A06049) --> Seatalkng 5-way Connector (A06064) --> Seatalkng Spur Cable (A06040) --> i50 Depth Instr (E70059) --> Seatalkng spur cable --> i60 Wind Instr (E70061) --> Seatalkng spur cable --> i50 Speed Instr (E70058) --> Seatalkng blanking plug (black).

ST4000 has spade type connectors for Seatalk.

I hope, attached diagram will clarify the exact setup.
Thank you, Alex.

RE: E70153 and ST4000 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-17-17 12:28 PM

Alex,

The diagram which you have provide would indicate the instruments have been interfaced as spur to s SeaTalkng backbone. Should the SeaTalkng Spur Cable linking the instruments from the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector be removed and should the SeaTalkng Power Cable instead have instead been connected directly to the spur socket of one of the instruments, then these instruments would have been linked via a simple SeaTalk bus. Please see my initial response regarding the difference between the ST4000/5000 and ST4000+/5000+ Autopilots and instructions regarding how these instruments would be interfaced to each of these two generations of autopilots.