Raymarine forum
Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk (/showthread.php?tid=2716)

Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk - Bill Kneller - 03-18-17 05:40 PM

How can I get the rudder angle which is NMEA 2000 PGN 127245 (NMEA 0183 RSA) so it appears on the Seatalk NG bus?

The system in configured as follows (link to my schematics on page 1 & 2).

- Raymarine S1G connected via Seatalk to E22158 Seatalk to Seatalk NG Converter
- Seatalk NG (NMEA 2000) has the following on the bus
-- e97 MFD
-- e125 MFD
-- B&G T41 Triton Display
-- Garmin GND10 (Interfaces with Nexus Instruments)
-- Actisense NGW-1-ISO (Interfaces with AIS/DSC/VHF Radio)
-- Actisense NGW-1-USB (Interfaces with PC)

I am able to see the rudder angle transmitted from the S1G over Seatalk, through the Seatalk NG converter on the e97 and e125 displays. I am able to see other data on almost everything everywhere. I am unable to pickup the rudder angle on either the T41 Triton display, or on the PC through the Actisense converter.

Using the Actisense NMEA Reader tool I am able to see what is on the NMEA 2000 (Seatalk NG) bus. PGN 127245 is not detected, so it appears that is why I don't see rudder angle on the B&G T41 Triton Display or the PC.

Does the converter transmit rudder angle on the NMEA 2000 bus using PGN 127245?

If not, how can I get this information?

It is obviously being transmitted in some format over Seatalk NG because both the e97 and e125 displays show rudder angle.

RE: Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-21-17 01:32 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

As you can see from the Actisense CAN bus analyzer (NGT-1 w/NMEA Reader) below, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter does indeed bridge rudder angle from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng. More specifically PGN 127245 is being generated and is being populated.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=816]

You may want to verify that your SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been updated with the latest software.

Please additionally note that the S1G's NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT transmits both heading and rudder angle (RSA) data.

RE: Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk - Bill Kneller - 03-27-17 10:43 AM

Chuck,

Thanks very much for the reply and the Actisense NMEA reader output for the NGT-1. I grabbed an NGT-1 and hooked it up along with the NGW-1 and see that the PGN is in fact making it through the NGT-1 but not the NGW-1 (NMEA 0183 gateway). This is on two different boats with the S1G and each boat with its own NGW-1 (same NGT-1), and both have a B&G T41.

I have some debugging to do to determine why the PGN isn't being properly decoded on the NGW-1. I fixed the problem on the T41 with a menu setup so that is fixed.

I am using the NGW-1 to exchage data with OpenCPN and when I find a solution, I'll post a reply here to let people know how this can be accommodated for future installations.

RE: Rudder Angle over Seatalk NG from Seatalk - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 03-27-17 11:21 AM

Bill,

You may want to start with verifying that the NGW-1 has been updated with the latest software and support the RSA sentence. Should both of these items have been addressed, then you may want to forward a copy of this thread to Actisense for comment.