Raymarine forum
Speedo Test - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: Speedo Test (/showthread.php?tid=2863)

Speedo Test - Photobug - 04-11-17 10:28 AM

I am helping a friend trouble shoot his Raymarine system. At the end of last year we lost the speedometer. Our first step is to test the transducer/wheel. The instructions from this forum says to test the green wire and the shield coming from the transducer.

The back of the instrument looks like this. Which of the wires here do i test to see the fluctuation in resistance to test the transducer output?

[Image: 20170408_170431.jpg]

RE: Speedo Test - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-11-17 03:05 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Photobug,

Analog instrument speed/temp sensor feature five leads (red, shield,green, white, and brown) within their cables ... you photo only shows four leads. It is recommended that you purchase a new set of female blade connectors and that the transducer's cable then be stripped back to reveal all five of these leads to permit the transducer to be tested. Should the transducer be determined to be operational, then the newly acquired blade connectors should be crimped onto the cable's leads, and then the leads would be connected to corresponding terminals of the instrument's.

RE: Speedo Test - Photobug - 04-12-17 02:38 AM

Thanks Chuck,
I just crawled into the lazarette to take this picture recently to get an idea at what I was facing. I have other photos that show the missing wire in this photo. It looks like a grey uncovered wire. I assume it is the shield?

I have a lot of connectors in my kit but nothing that small.

Where i might be able to find some smaller female blade connectors?
I have a ratcheting crimper for standard sized DC wiring, would it work on wires this small? If not how should I crimp these wires to new connectors?

I read how to test green with shield for continuity with 4 fluctuations between open and closed circuit each revolution. What other tests should I run on these wires to evaluate this system?

RE: Speedo Test - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-12-17 08:19 AM

Photobug,

Q1. I just crawled into the lazarette to take this picture recently to get an idea at what I was facing. I have other photos that show the missing wire in this photo. It looks like a grey uncovered wire. I assume it is the shield?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I have a lot of connectors in my kit but nothing that small. Where i might be able to find some smaller female blade connectors?
Q2. Please use the link provided within my prior response to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. I have a ratcheting crimper for standard sized DC wiring, would it work on wires this small? If not how should I crimp these wires to new connectors?
A3. A ratcheting crimp tool would seem to be a bit overkill for this purpose. While the inexpensive crimp tool which is commonly included with many crimp connector sets may be used for this purpose, I prefer on which is a bit heavier in construction such as the one within this photo.

[Image: Z066syfo5oy.JPG]

Q4. I read how to test green with shield for continuity with 4 fluctuations between open and closed circuit each revolution. What other tests should I run on these wires to evaluate this system?
A4. The only test for speed transducers may be found here. The referenced FAQ addresses actions to be taken should the transducer be determined to be operational or not.