Raymarine forum
Updating older Raymarine components - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Updating older Raymarine components (/showthread.php?tid=2917)

Updating older Raymarine components - seeray96 - 04-19-17 04:26 PM

Hi Chuck -
I'm also looking to upgrade electronics on my 1995 SeaRay500DA. Oldest piece of equipment is the Raytheon R40XX Radar. Newest it the RS130 GPS with the STng adapter. Mfd is E120. Two xducers. The B60-200-RAY feeds a DSM300, and a DST800P-S connects to the mfd thru an adapter. Corepack is Raymarine S-3. Also at the helm is a Raypilot 650 and Tridata S60. Fluxgate compass connects to S-3.Heading Sensor ST80 is not connected.
I don't do any fishing - mostly cruising around the Great Lakes.My guess is that I would start with a replacement mfd, but it seems the Axiom is over kill for my use. Thanks in advance for your help.

RE: Updating older Raymarine components - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-20-17 03:08 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum seeray96,

With the exception of the Raytheon R40XX Radar and ST80 Compass, all of the other items which you have listed may be either interfaced to or adapted for use with an a/eS/gS-Series MFD. Do you have a preference for a MFD which only has a touch screen interface, or one that as both a touchscreen interface and buttons? Are you seeking a MFD with a 12" screen or a larger screen? Are you seeking to replace the currently installed radar scanner and display?

RE: Updating older Raymarine components - seeray96 - 04-25-17 03:17 PM

I would like to stick with the 12" MFD, probably one with touchscreen and buttons. However, I don't want to buy older tech just to get the buttons. What would I replace the ST80 with?
The radar would be the last item, but it would be a definite.

RE: Updating older Raymarine components - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-27-17 10:49 AM

seeray96,

Q1. I would like to stick with the 12" MFD, probably one with touchscreen and buttons. However, I don't want to buy older tech just to get the buttons.
A1. As fishing will not be a priority, then the following would be recommended:
- Should the DSM300 and B60-200-RAY be operational, then it would be recommended that the E120 be replaced with an E70368-00-NAG Axiom 12, 12" MFD with Navionics Nav+ US & Canada Charts (NAG). Continued use of the DSM and its transducer will supply the system with not only numerical depth data, but bottom trending data.

- Should the DSM300 not be operational, but the B60-200-RAY be operational, then it would be recommended that the E120 be replaced with an E70369-00-NAG Axiom 12 RV, 12" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar, no transducer with NAG. The currently installed transducer may be adapted for use with the Axiom 12 RV MFD. Continued use of this transducer will supply the system with not only numerical depth data, but bottom trending data.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how an E-Series Classic MFD may be replaced with an Axiom MFD. Should your DST800 support NMEA 2000 communications, then it should be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone which will include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The MFD will additionally be interfaced to a spur socket within the SeaTalkng backbone. Should your DST800 only support NMEA 0183 communications, then it would be necessary to install a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) to support bridging data from the DST800 to the SeaTalkng backbone.

When ready to install a second MFD and/or compatible radome or open array radar pedestal, then it would be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Each MFD, the DSM300, and the compatible radome or open array radar pedestal will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. What would I replace the ST80 with?
A2. As the system includes an autopilot which will be supplying the system with 1Hz heading data, the ST80 would continue to not be used. However, if seeking to utilize the MARPA feature within the Radar and Chart applications or seek to maximize the performance of other features dependent upon high rate, stabilized heading data, then it would be recommended that the ST80 Compass be replaced with an Evolution EV-1 Sensor Core. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

RE: Updating older Raymarine components - seeray96 - 05-04-17 01:35 PM

Thanks, Chuck.