Raymarine forum
3rd Failed 18" Quantum wifi Radar - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Radar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=125)
+--- Thread: 3rd Failed 18" Quantum wifi Radar (/showthread.php?tid=3020)

3rd Failed 18" Quantum wifi Radar - gacoogan - 05-03-17 04:32 PM

I just received my 2nd replacement Quantum radar and it failed to give a wifi signal out of the box. When it is powered on, I should be able to see it with the MFD or with a phone via wifi. I see neither.

I'd like to know if there is a reasonable expectation that a wifi capable phone would see the device as an available wifi connection. Particularly if it's mast mounted, that's tremendously useful. Also I'd like to know why the failure rate is so high for this unit. Mine failed out of the box. I made the Raymarine dealer demonstrate that it was working before I would accept it because the last thing I want is to climb a mast to install a faulty unit.

RE: 3rd Failed 18" Quantum wifi Radar - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-04-17 11:13 AM

gacoogan,

We're sorry to learn of the reported problem. The Quantum radomes have actually proven to be quite reliable. While it is possible that the fault may be rooted within the Quantum radome, it may also be rooted within the MFD itself. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing troubleshooting Quantum connection issues. More often than not, the problem is found to be rooted in not having the latest available software update installed within the MFD and/or the Quantum radome. The second most common cause for connection failures result from not powering the Quantum radome from a dedicated switched power circuit. Should the Quantum radome enter sleep mode, then cycling power to the radome alone may be required to re-awaken the radome. The third most common cause of connection issues with Quantum radomes is associated with entry of the Quantum radome's SSID ("QUANTUM_" is commonly forgotten when entering the SSID) or password which are both case sensitive.

Neither the MFDs nor mobile devices will list Quantum radomes within their respective lists of Wi-Fi networks. Should you have addressed the items specified within the referenced FAQ and should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that the Quantum radome be tested again by your dealer via Wi-Fi. Should the Quantum radome be found to be operational by your dealer, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked with a Quantum radome (located at some distance from the MFD) / serviced.