Raymarine forum
DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Fishfinders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no (/showthread.php?tid=3399)

DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - lotharjt - 06-21-17 08:27 AM

Hi, I've got a dual E-120 classic install with an eight port Seatalk HS switch and a DSM-300.

I've noticed an occasional loss of depth indication, probably about 2-3 times in the last 30 hours of operation. Upon looking at the connections and observing the flashing LED on the DSM-300, occasionally it powers up and indicates eight amber flashes which means a watch-dog timeout reboot. Other times, it is flashing green about once per second.

I've read the prior posts about not recommending a s/w update of the DSM unless it is specifically noting a connection issue thru the switch. I've not seen that. But the occasional drop outs of depth indication are concerning. A reboot of the entire system always brings it back.

I've got the V5.69 in the plotters and V3.14 (original back to 2006 when the install was done) in the DSM.

Thoughts?

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-22-17 01:48 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lotharjt,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Updating the DSM's software would indeed be recommended as a step taken to address the reported problem, along with replacement of the DSM's power cable. Should the items within the referenced FAQ have been addressed and should the problem persist, then it would appear that the DSM has suffered a failure necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced or replaced with a CP370.

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - lotharjt - 06-30-17 09:10 AM

Hi Chuck,

I've reviewed the update procedure for the DSM-300 using the E-series Classic MFD. One statement in the instructions is rather striking:
"If a Bootloader Update is part of the download, this must be done first before the Software Update. Please note it may hang at 50% and not Complete to 100% and may show Failed."

It's not clear what this means. How does one tell if the Bootloader Update will be necessary? By saying "it" may hang, is that a reference to the Bootloader software? Whatever the reference of "it", what should one do if it does hang or shows Failed?

Please clarify.

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-30-17 10:11 AM

lotharjt,

Failure to apply power to the DSM quickly enough after commanding the MFD to UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SEATALKHS can cause MFD to fail to update the bootloader software. Should this occur, then one would simply start the process again. Additionally, the bootloader software is very quick to install and should the operator not be viewing the screen during the entire process, then the operator may fail to note completion of the bootloader software's installation. For this reason, it can be very helpful to have a someone assist with removing and applying power to the DSM while the other person executes commands via the MFD and monitors process. Please additionally note, that should circuitry problems be responsible for NO DSM or DSM CONNECTION LOST alerts, then it may not be possible to update the DSM's software ... see my prior response specifying to send the DSM to Raymarine's Product Repair Center or replace the DSM with a CP370.

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-30-17 01:05 PM

lotharjt,

Q. From the current descriptions I've read on the website, there is no power cycling required of the DSM, only the MFD, true? Did I miss something?
A. You are incorrect and you did indeed miss something. Per the instructions accessed via the DSM's software update web page, then power to the DSM is switch OFF and the ON again immediately after the aforementioned command has been initiated.

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - lotharjt - 06-30-17 06:12 PM

I went back to the software update website, indeed, I misread the instructions and was looking at the wrong update instructions. Once I looked at the "radar or DSM30/300" section, it became crystal clear. Thanks.

I did cycle power on the DSM after queuing the load sequence at the MFD, first for the bootloader and then the V4.2 software. It did load and there is definitely a different pattern of light activity on the 'connection' and 'activity' lights at the switch when just the DSM is running. We will run with this for an upcoming trip and see how it goes. So far, at the dock, no anomalous behavior.

And by the way, we did wiggle the power cable on the DSM and no reboots so it still seems to be good.

Thanks for the tips, fingers crossed this makes the difference.

RE: DSM-300 s/w Update, yes or no - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-03-17 09:04 AM

You're welcome.