Raymarine forum
AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: AIS (/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 (/showthread.php?tid=3682)

AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - randytank - 08-01-17 03:39 PM

I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF/AIS that used to connect for AIS output only to my C80 and worked like a champ. The C80 is replaced by Axiom 9 and I need to get AIS data out from GX2200 and into Axiom 9. I do NOT need GPS input from Axiom to VHF, it's already built in. I've seen reference to Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS in forum but this is a $190 item and still needs a cable to the SeaTalkng backbone. Is there a more simple (i.e. cheaper) way? In addition to Axiom I have Quantum wireless radar and Evolution Wheel Autopilot.

BTW the Evolution Wheel pilot is the cat's meow. So much better than old X5 it replaced.

RE: AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-02-17 10:54 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

The NMEA 0183 communications protocol is being succeeded by the NMEA 2000 communications protocol within the marine industry. Unlike the C-Series Classic MFDs, the Axiom MFDs, like the a6x/a7x MFDs, do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. The Axiom MFDs feature the now more common NMEA 2000 communications interface. The recently announced Axiom Pro MFDs feature additional communications interfaces, including NMEA 0183, however these additional interfaces bring increased cost to the Axiom Pro MFDs.

As you are attempting to interface the Axiom MFD to a device supporting a communications protocol not supported by the Axiom MFD (i.e. NMEA 0183), it is necessary to install an appropriate data bridging device between the two device. Such data bridging devices are not simply a cable. Such data bridging devices feature a microprocessor to convert NMEA 0183 sentences to NMEA 2000 PGNs and vice versa. While there may be other third party NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging devices supporting NMEA 0183 AIS sentences and the corresponding NMEA 2000 PGNs, you'll likely find that they are similarly priced.

RE: AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - randytank - 08-02-17 01:08 PM

Thank you Chuck. I've ordered the parts and will see what happens.

RE: AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-02-17 01:23 PM

You're welcome.

RE: AIS Output from VHF to Axiom 9 - randytank - 08-07-17 10:01 AM

I installed the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS this weekend and it linked up right away to show AIS targets on the Axiom chart. I did not have to reconfigure the baud rate on the AXIOM (in fact I have no idea how to find that particular page!).