Raymarine forum
Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? (/showthread.php?tid=3901)

Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? - Dan_Y - 08-31-17 09:38 AM

I have an Axiom 9 networked to an EV-1/ACU-100 Wheel Pilot via a STng network. The EV-1 is the only source of heading info and the Axiom is the only source of GPS info. EV-1 compass linearization was performed successfully (4 degrees of deviation – the iNstall you recommended from Gemeco worked great to drive the deviation down), and I have good agreement between the ship’s compass and the EV-1 magnetic bearing displayed on the p70s (within a degree) and so did not perform an "Align Compass GPS". Axiom has v3.1.96, EV-1 v1.11, ACU-100 v1.12 and p70s v3.06.

When in True bearing mode, the EV-1 “value in use” from the Data Sources menu on the Axiom and the p70s agree exactly. When Magnetic bearing mode is then selected at the Axiom, the magnetic heading displayed on the p70s and the ship’s compass agree to within a degree, but the Axiom incorrectly displays the magnetic heading. The Axiom appears to be consistently doubling the local magnetic variation then adding that value to the true heading value. I have not noticed any additional “crab angle” of the ships icon when in “heading” mode but not sure if I could anyway as 10 deg is a small angle and haven't looked for it). Screen captures in PDF attached.
Thanks
Dan_Y

RE: Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-31-17 10:54 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

The problem reported appears to be limited to the Data Sources dialog. I have verified, albeit with beta software for the next release, that when the Heading data item is displayed within a Databox or as a data item within one of the Data application's panels, that the value reported is in agreement with the autopilot control head ... irrespective of whether True or Magnetic Bearing Mode have been selected. Please additionally note that the Bearing Mode configuration setting is designed to be automatically repeated system-wide. Accordingly, should the MFD be configured for Magnetic Bearing Mode, then the autopilot control head, i70, etc. will all be configured to report magnetic bearings.

However, the problem reported within the Data Sources feature will be logged to seek correction of this problem within a future LightHouse 3 software update. It should be noted that the overwhelming number of customer will not encounter this issue as very few systems are fitted with more than one source of heading data. In systems having a single source of the data for Depth, Speed Through Water, Heading, GPS, GPS Datum, Wind, and Time & Date, the system will automatically use data from the single source. Use of the Data Sources feature is only required when the system features more than one source of the previously specified data sources and would then only be exercised for the corresponding data type(s) for a second source existed within the system.

RE: Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? - Dan_Y - 08-31-17 07:18 PM

Thank you or looking at this Chuck and for your clarification.
Dan

RE: Axiom 9 Displays EV-1 Magnetic Heading Incorrectly? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-01-17 08:13 AM

You're welcome.