Raymarine forum
Software updates issues for multiple devices - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Software updates issues for multiple devices (/showthread.php?tid=4109)

Software updates issues for multiple devices - bobmackie - 10-11-17 03:18 PM

Hello:

The last time (fall 2014) that I did an update on my Raymarine equipment I ran into problems with the EV-1 and the ACU400 not updating. In fact, after that attempt the system did not even "see" them. I ended up having to send the units to Raymarine for updating. Was not a big problem then, I was in Hampton VA.

I am now in Panama getting ready to cross the Pacific. I just installed 2 new i70s displays and I would like to update my Autopilot to the latest software. I understand that the EV-1 needs to be updated first and that the MFD will do the update in-turn. After reading some comments in the forum I see that there can still be an issue when updating with multiple NG devices and that if the "normal" update procedure does not work it is recommended to "unplug" the Spur cables to devices not being updated.

I am wondering if I should start out do that to begin with? (or is there a better method) And if I do, in what order should I do the updates? Should I turn the "slave" MFDs off during the procedure as well?

Again, I am in Panama (living aboard) so it is not an easy (or cheap) task to return the units to Raymarine for upgrades.

Any suggestions? I have copied you on the equipment that we have on board as well as the software versions for each. The big thing I want is the upgraded software for the ACU400.

Thanks,

Bob

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-11-17 03:52 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1. I just installed 2 new i70s displays and I would like to update my Autopilot to the latest software. I understand that the EV-1 needs to be updated first and that the MFD will do the update in-turn. After reading some comments in the forum I see that there can still be an issue when updating with multiple NG devices and that if the "normal" update procedure does not work it is recommended to "unplug" the Spur cables to devices not being updated.
A1. Such occurrences are less frequent than you have implied. The real key to performing the update is to ensure that you command the system to update the EV-1 first. After successfully updating the EV-1, the software within the other Evolution autopilot components may be updated.

Q2. I am wondering if I should start out do that to begin with? (or is there a better method).
A2. While no harm would result and the software update for each component may complete faster when updated in this manner, this option is not typically recommended unless a problem is encountered.

Q3. And if I do, in what order should I do the updates?
A3. When updating the software within a system's components, it is generally recommended that the software within the MFDs be updated first. After doing so, then software within the peripherals may be updated. The only product which for which an ordered install is required is the Evolution autopilots.

Q4. Should I turn the "slave" MFDs off during the procedure as well?
A3. No.

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - bobmackie - 10-11-17 04:48 PM

New Question: I do the MFD(s) first and THEN the EV-1, followed by the ACU 400? I assume the P70 next?

Does the MFD give me the ability to "select" what I want to update and when or what order?

Thanks.

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-11-17 04:59 PM

Bob,

Q1: I do the MFD(s) first and THEN the EV-1, followed by the ACU 400? I assume the P70 next?
A1: Correct. More specifically, there is no specified order for updating the ACU and the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS after the EV-1 CCU has been updated.

Q2: Does the MFD give me the ability to "select" what I want to update and when or what order?
A2. Yes. When operating with the last for or five versions of LightHouse II MFD software, when a microSD card is inserted into the MFD's memroy card reader of a fully booted MFD, the MFD will alert the operated that a memory card containing software updates was detected by the system and provide an option to list the updates. The presented update list will include a list each device, its current version, available version, and a checkbox by which you may direct which, if any of the listed devices will be updated. The same alert will be displayed if the user commands the MFD to check the card(s) for updates (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->CHECK CARD FOR UPDATES).

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - bobmackie - 10-11-17 05:06 PM

My MFDs are all at V11.26-00483.

That version gives me the option? Sorry, I got "gun shy" with the updates out in the hinterlands...

If not, I will just fire up the Master e125 by itself and do it and then continue?

Thanks again.

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-11-17 05:14 PM

Bob,

It is recommended that you first update to v13.37 (found within the software history table of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update web page). Thereafter, you may exercise the Check Card for Updates feature.

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - bobmackie - 10-11-17 05:36 PM

Gotcha. Thanks. First thing in the am.

Bob

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - bobmackie - 10-12-17 03:33 PM

All updates completed successfully. Did the Master MFD (e125) first making sure nothing else was "on". Then did the EV-1 Sensor alone followed by the ACU 400 alone and then the P70 alone as well.

After that did everything else. All good. Back to calibration now but thanks for you help!

Bob

RE: Software updates issues for multiple devices - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-12-17 03:43 PM

You're welcome.