Raymarine forum
SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 (/showthread.php?tid=4196)

SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Bob Johnston - 11-01-17 01:07 PM

Apologies if some of this has been asked - Search didn't find it.

I have an EV-200 on my 30' sailboat and I'm considering re-installing my old SPX-5 as a backup. It's a tiller-steered boat and I use cockpit-mounted tiller drives with no rudder reference. All software is up to date.

1) Do I need to re-install the old heading sensor or will the heading data from the EV-1 work with both ACUs? The EV-1 seems to be the better sensor so I'd rather use it for both ACUs.

2) Can the P70 control both pilots via the SeaTalk ng backbone? Can the second pilot be on Standby or must it be powered off?

3) I have a switch between the ACU-200 and the tiller drive (I currently use a non-Raymarine autopilot as a backup). Will I need to isolate the EV-200 and SPX-5 further?

I've done this before with the X-5 and an old 4000+ with no conflicts. With that setup I didn't even need the drive switch. I mostly race and if one AP fails I need to be able to switch quickly.

RE: SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-03-17 08:02 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Prior to the introduction of the MFDs running LightHouse II and LightHouse 3 software, i50/i60/i70 instruments, Raystar 130/150, Evolution autopilots, etc., Raymarine marine products were not designed to operate within a system featuring multiple sources of any one type of data (ex. GPS, heading, depth, wind, etc.). Should a system feature legacy Raymarine products introduced prior to those specified above, then the system should be restricted/configured to only permit one source of such data within the system.

Q1. Do I need to re-install the old heading sensor or will the heading data from the EV-1 work with both ACUs? The EV-1 seems to be the better sensor so I'd rather use it for both ACUs.
A1. Yes. SPX autopilots were not designed to utilize data from a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 heading source. While it is possible for SPX autopilots to utilize a 10Hz NMEA 0183 heading source, system performance will typically be better with the fluxgate compass designed for use with the SPX autopilots.

Q2. Can the P70 control both pilots via the SeaTalk ng backbone? Can the second pilot be on Standby or must it be powered off?
A2. Please note that the EV-1 CCU not only functions as an Evolution autopilot's heading sensor, but also at the autopilots course computer. In contrast, the SPX autopilots combine the course computer and ACU within a single component. The two autopilot course computers (i.e. EV-1 / ACU and SPX) must not be simultaneously interfaced to the system. Control over which autopilot would be used within the system would typically be accomplished by switches or manually plugging/unplugging the component's SeaTalkng cable.

Q3. I have a switch between the ACU-200 and the tiller drive (I currently use a non-Raymarine autopilot as a backup). Will I need to isolate the EV-200 and SPX-5 further?
A3. See the response to Q2. As when used the third party autopilot, it would be recommended that switching be used to control which of the autopilots is controlling the drive unit.

RE: SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Bob Johnston - 11-03-17 08:52 PM

Thank you Chuck.

RE: SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-06-17 08:43 AM

You're welcome.

RE: [DG] SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - mm@maume.it - 04-09-18 10:48 AM

Dear all,

after reading this thread, I would like to use my old S3G as a 'ready to run' backup to the main autopilot SPX-SOL.

As I have only ST1 network my situation should be simpler.

I'll use a diverter applied to "off switch" contacts of both autopilots to have only one at a time working.

I think it's possible connect the solenoid and clutch cables to the respective contacts of both autopilots, but I don't know if it's possible to have the rudder and fluxgate sensors cables permanently connected to the respective contacts of both autopilots.

So before risking damage, I look forward to knowing the opinion of the guru.

All the best
Maurizio

RE: SPX-5 as backup to EV-200 - Derek - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-10-18 06:58 AM

Hi Maurizio,

It is essential to ensure only one 'pilot can be operated at the same time and so a 3 position switch should be used to isolate them, the centre position being OFF for both systems to ensure there is no possibility of them both being activated at the same time.

The compass and rudder sensors will also need to be isolated as they cannot be 'commoned' between the two systems. We also recommend isolating the solenoids and clutch too because you do not want to back feed power into the back end of the outputs.

Clearly the screen/shield can be left connected, but some form of multipole relay or contactor should be used.

regards