Raymarine forum
Please sanity check my proposed system - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: Please sanity check my proposed system (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Please sanity check my proposed system - bobbob - 03-31-16 11:46 AM

I currently have an ST40 bidata with analog Speed/Depth/Temp sensors and an ST4000+ autopilot on my boat. I am repowering to a Yamaha F70 and I would like to take the opportunity to integrate it as well as my Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF w/ GPS (NMEA 0183) all together.

If I purchase an i70, it seems to me the system config would look like so:

1) Connect ST4000+ to ST40 by Seatalk1, then ST40 to i70 by A06073 (ST1 Adaptor cable)

2) Connect i70 to DeviceNet (NMEA2000) backbone by Devicenet Adaptor Cable

3) Connect Motor and VHF w/ GPS to DeviceNet (NMEA2000) backbone by respective non-Raymarine adaptors

If I do this, will I get everything displayed on the i70? ie:

- SOW, Depth, Temp from analog sensors hanging off ST40
- Compass direction from ST4000+
- SOG from VHF GPS
- Engine display (Fuel Flow, RPMs, etc) from Yamaha outboard

Do I need any other widgets that I haven't considered?

Thanks!

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - Steve - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-01-16 11:58 AM

This is incorrect, because you are trying to integrated three different interfaces Seatalk 1, Seatalk NG and NMEA 0183. The i70 will not convert the two Seatalk 1 and Seatalk NG interfaces. With engine monitoring, you will want the i70 to communicate Seatalk NG/ NMEA 2000. The i70 can communicate on Seatalk 1 or Seatalk NG
but NOT both.

You would connect the ST4000+ and the ST40 together via Seatalk 1, making sure you leave the RED wire disconnected on the ST4000+ Seatalk connection in order to not back feed power from the Seatalk 1 interface, but you would then connect them to a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter to the Yellow port establish a Seatalk NG backbone, where the i70 and engine monitoring connection will be connected.

The i70 can not be connected directly to the DeviceNet adapter cable, both the i70 and the DeviceNet adapter cable for Engine data will need to be connected to a Seatalk NG backbone in order to communicate via Seatalk NG/NMEA 2000.

In order to add a NMEA 0183 device into the backbone, you will need another converter, one that converters NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000, for GPS data like SOG. We don't make such converter but we test with a company call Actisense, they make a converter NGW-1-STNG that will connect to the VHF w/GPS via NMEA 0183 then connect to the Seatalk NG backbone.

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - bobbob - 04-01-16 12:42 PM

Thanks. So, just to be clear, you are saying that I have to connect the ST40 to the i70 using a Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter, and not just a Seatalk to SeatalkNG Adaptor cable? (ie part A06073) I am confused because section 3.4 of the i70 installation manual states Connections to an existing SeaTalk system must be made using either a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng adaptor cable or a SeaTalk to
SeaTalkng converter
?

Quote:The i70 can not be connected directly to the DeviceNet adapter cable, both the i70 and the DeviceNet adapter cable will need to be connected to a Seatalk NG backbone in order to communicate via Seatalk NG/NMEA 2000.

Again, section 3.5 of the i70 installation manual suggests in a diagram labelled Connecting the display to an existing NMEA2000 (DeviceNet)
backbone
That I don't need to establish a SeatalkNG backbone?

Understood about the Actisense part - that is the part I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - Steve - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-01-16 03:06 PM

Understand the confusion, but stated in my initial response "The i70 can communicate on Seatalk 1 or Seatalk NG but NOT both."

In 3.4, you are adding the i70 into an existing Seatalk 1 system. So, it will work in that context, but you are looking to bridge both Seatalk 1 with the ST40 and the ST4000+ and NMEA 2000 with engine monitoring.

In 3.5 both diagrams are showing connections of the i70 to a Seatalk NG backbone, and a NMEA 2000 backbone, item number 3 in the second diagram is showing the (NMEA 2000) DeviceNet backbone. So either way there needs to be some kind of backbone either Seatalk NG or DeviceNet(NMEA2000).

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - bobbob - 04-01-16 03:21 PM

Ahh, I got it - thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately this sort of negates the value I was considering for the i70 (the ability to talk to both SeaTalk and SeaTalkNG)

Can I use an E22158 (SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkNG converter) followed by an A06045 (SeatalkNG to DeviceNet cable) to effectively connect my ST40 to an NMEA2000 backbone?

This seems like the best way to go, then I will have full flexibility to choose any NMEA2000-compliant instrument gauge.

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - bobbob - 04-04-16 04:09 PM

Can an ST70 talk to seatalk1 and seatalkNG at the same time? Older documentation seems to suggest it could.

If so, would my initial proposal work with an ST70?

Thanks!

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - Steve - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-05-16 02:43 PM

No, the ST70 would not bridge the Seatalk and Seatalk NG data either.

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - bobbob - 04-07-16 12:30 PM

(04-05-16 02:43 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  No, the ST70 would not bridge the Seatalk and Seatalk NG data either.

Okay understood. So my plan now is to convert ST40 to NMEA2000 using parts E22158 and A06046 (to an NMEA2000 T connector), and leave the ST4000+ as standalone (the NMEA2000 instrument gauge I am looking at does not consume wind or heading data).

Are there any implications here for the SeaTalk power wiring? Or is it a straight connection?

RE: Please sanity check my proposed system - Steve - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-07-16 02:34 PM

The Seatalk 1 ST40 will get the power from the Seatalk NG/NMEA 2000 backbone.