Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off (/showthread.php?tid=6290)

[CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - cindysea - 08-02-18 11:41 AM

Why would my boat icon point 180 degrees in the wrong direction

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-02-18 01:27 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cindysea,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - cindysea - 08-02-18 06:53 PM

That does not help--when I go NW the icon is pointing corectly-on the return trip (SE) the icon is still pointing tothe NW and still indicating a course of 300 degrees when the actual course is 150 degrees. This just started happening--I must have an incorrect setting--can you advise? Thanks

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-03-18 08:11 AM

cindysea,

Contrary to your belief, the reported issue is not indicative of an incorrect setting. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the reported symptom would be indicative of a problem with the device which is providing heading to the system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As suggested therein, the area where the heading sensor is located should be inspected to ensure that objects capable of producing a magnetic field have not been placed/installed near the system's heading sensor. In the case of Raymarine heading sources featuring a fluxgate compass, it is recommended that the fluxgate compass be tested, and if no fault is found with the compass, that the heading source be recalibrated for deviation (the maximum detected value should ideally be less than 10 degrees) and re-aligned. In the case of Evolution autopilot's, it is recommended that the autopilot's EV-1/2 CCU, ACU, and autopilot control head all be checked to ensure that they have the latest software and if not, that the software within these components be updated according. Next, the actions specified within the FAQ found here should be followed. Should the system's heading source be a third party device, then it would be recommended that the manufacturer of that device be contacted information concerning how to correct the heading problem.

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - cindysea - 08-07-18 09:46 AM

The system has worked since 2002 without issue--nothing new has been added and nothing new has been added near or around the equipment or heading sensor. About 2 yeras ago the ST 6000 on the bridge would not work correctly and your company diagnosed it as a bad board and fixed it. I reinstalled it and it worked fine. Recently I started experiencing the issue described. Could the autopilot cause this issue? If I disconnect the auto pilot would that help diagnose the issue?

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-14-18 10:08 AM

cindysea,

Per our conversation, it would be recommended that you first attempt to correct the problem with the autopilot's heading by performing the compass calibration (detect sensed deviation in the location of the fluxgate compass) and compass alignment portions of the autopilot sea trial calibration. The maximum sensed deviation should be less than 9 degrees. If not, then the autopilot's fluxgate compass (sample photo below) should be located to ensure that no object capable of creating a magnetic field have been installed/placed within 3' of the fluxgate compass. If no such objects are found, then it would be recommended that the fluxgate compass be tested and if found to have a fault, that it be replaced. Whenever an autopilot's heading sensor / fluxgate compass is replaced, then it must once again be calibrated and aligned.

[Image: 14937XL__13102.1508272534.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on]

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - cindysea - 10-02-18 10:09 AM

Chuck I have diagnosed my issue as a bad fluxgate compass. I am going to replace it but it has no part numbers on it. Can you provide the replacemnet part no? I have tried to send pictures but your system say the file is to large? Thanks Cindysea

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-02-18 10:16 AM

cindysea,

The part number of the fluxgate compass which I provided a photo of within my last response is M81190.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing where one may purchase parts for Raymarine products as well as to determine the latest availability & pricing information.

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - cindysea - 10-02-18 02:07 PM

Thanks

RE: [CA11] boat icon heading 180 degrees off - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-02-18 02:16 PM

You're welcome.