Raymarine forum
Power for AP and MFD - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Power for AP and MFD (/showthread.php?tid=633)

Power for AP and MFD - marchem - 04-20-16 02:03 PM

Are there advantages and disadvantages to powering the autopilot (EV-100) and MFD (e7D) from the same branch circuit, or from separate circuits?

OTOH, it makes sense to me to have them together, so they all power up at the same time, but I can see a power consumption advantage to being able to shut off the autopilot completely if I'm not using it.

RE: Power for AP and MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-21-16 07:34 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum marchem,

While it is certainly possible to do as you have suggested it is not recommended that you do so. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

RE: Power for AP and MFD - marchem - 04-21-16 11:47 AM

Thanks. I'll run separate circuits for them. I assume if the MFD is already running when I power up the AP the MFD will figure things out properly?

The p70 will be powered off the STng backbone, which needs to be powered with the MFD (I've got ST60 instruments and an ST1-STng adapter). What will the p70 do if the AP is not powered?

RE: Power for AP and MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-21-16 01:45 PM

marchem,

Q1. I assume if the MFD is already running when I power up the AP the MFD will figure things out properly?
A1. The Raymarine equipment is not dependent upon any specific powering sequence.

Q2. The p70 will be powered off the STng backbone, which needs to be powered with the MFD (I've got ST60 instruments and an ST1-STng adapter). What will the p70 do if the AP is not powered?
A2. Per the previously referenced FAQ, powering the SeaTalkng backbone via a dedicated circuit is considered a best installation practice. However, should the autopilot course computer not be powered ON and the SeaTalkng backbone be powered, then the autopilot control head will simply report NO PILOT. Should the autopilot course computer later be powered, then the autopilot control head will respond to the presence of a powered autopilot within the system.

RE: Power for AP and MFD - marchem - 04-21-16 01:58 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the quick, useful response!

RE: Power for AP and MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-21-16 02:04 PM

You're welcome.