Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Autopilot alert - Rudder position info lost - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Autopilot alert - Rudder position info lost (/showthread.php?tid=6501)

[CA11] Autopilot alert - Rudder position info lost - jamesissayling - 08-28-18 06:48 AM

Jeanneau 349 sailboat 2017. In Toronto.
ACU 400 autopilot lost rudder info while sailing with Autopilot on standby.
Alert appears on a75 mfd and rudder position bar is still there but does not
show rudder position. (no red/green bars)
System reboot does not fix the issue.
The next day the rudder position bar is functional after normal boot up.
I cannot find a rudder reference transducer anywhere.
This has happened twice in the last week.
Questions:
1. Is this a software issue? System is one year old.
2. Is it possible that I do not have a rudder reference transducer?
3. I think I have a linear electric drive unit. Does this unit also sense/transduce the rudder position?
Please advise next steps for diagnosis...I don't trust the Autopilot to function
while this alert keeps coming up.

Thanks in advance!

RE: [CA11] Autopilot alert - Rudder position info lost - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-29-18 03:26 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jamesissayling

Q1. Is this a software issue? System is one year old.
A1. Not likely. That said, it is strongly recommended that Raymarine autopilots be maintained with the latest available software.

Q2. Is it possible that I do not have a rudder reference transducer?
A2. Yes, however a rudder reference transducer is typically recommended to maximize performance of the autopilot. If the rudder reference detects and excessive amount of rudder angle, then a No Rudder condition may be reported. One may positively identify whether a rudder reference transducer was installed by examining the Rudder terminals of the ACU-400. Should leads be attached to its terminals, then a rudder reference transducer has been installed onboard the vessel and would typically be installed in the area of the quadrant. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a rudder reference transducer may be tested.

Q3. I think I have a linear electric drive unit. Does this unit also sense/transduce the rudder position?
A3. Raymarine's mechanical linear drives do not feature a built-in rudder reference unit.