Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] ST 5000+ autopilot issues - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] ST 5000+ autopilot issues (/showthread.php?tid=6519)

[CA11] ST 5000+ autopilot issues - dle44rain - 08-29-18 10:28 PM

The autopilot on my flybridge trawler has been steering the vessel in slow ~30° S-curves to port and then to starboard when placed in "auto" mode. The vessel will maintain the average magnetic heading while slowly steering the vessel in S-curves over the course.
I followed the "Operating Sense" instructions in the manual at dockside:
Press AUTO
Press the "+10 key"
The rudder turned. I then pressed the "-10 key" and the rudder started to move but almost immediately stopped after a clicking/grinding sound occurred. The result is that the steering wheel will only turn counterclockwise now even with all electronics turned off. The autopilot operates a hydraulic pump. Both wheels will turn counterclockwise but not clockwise.
I would appreciate any advice about what should be done to solve these issues.
Thanks.

RE: [CA11] ST 5000+ autopilot issues - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-30-18 11:54 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dle44rain,

The reported symptom sounds may be indicative of a problem with the hydraulic system's check valves. In such cases, it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer or other technician qualified in servicing hydraulic steering systems be contacted to inspect the steering system, particularly its check valves.