Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 (/showthread.php?tid=6667)

[CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 09-25-18 12:36 PM

Hi intend to upgrade my MfD and radar with Axiom 12 and Quantum 2. Was planing on hard wiring radar to Axiom. My existing C classic has a Nema connection and a Seatalk connection both have cables going to those points.
The sea talk is for ST60 instruments (speed,depth & wind) and Raymarine Autohelm both vintage 2004. The Nema cable is I believe from my heading sensor associated with the Auto Pilot. I know I will need a Seatalk to Seatalkng conerter but how do I handle the heading sensor cable ?

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-25-18 01:41 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum E.hatch2086,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject, as I believe it addresses just about every aspect of replacing a C-Series Classic MFD with an Axiom MFD. Should the MFD simply be interfaced to a DSC VHF radio to supply it with GPS data, then an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be used to interface the MFD to the VHF radio to again supply the DSC VHF radio with GPS data. Should the MFD be interfaced to both 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 talkers and listeners, then it would typically be recommended that a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridging Device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) be used to interface the device(s) to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 09-25-18 03:26 PM

Thanks Chuck alot to digest.
I also have an ES7 presently connected to my network and thus is interfaced to the C classic (previous help from you). On the ES7 i have an AIS receiver connected via the Nema 183 wires. In looking at the ES7 manual its notes that I could have 2 separate Nema 183 items. Thus could I connect the Nema 183 cable presently going to the C classic to the other Nema 183 wires on the ES7 and use different baud rate for each connection ? Thus having the heading sensor info going into my network.

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-25-18 04:11 PM

E.hatch2086,

It is indeed possible to utilize eS7x MFD's Port 2 to supply the system with heading data from a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 source. The BAUD rates of the MFD's Port 1 and Port 2 are independent. Accordingly, one may be configured to 38400 BAUD communications and the other may be configured for 4800 BAUD communications. Should an Axiom MFD be added to the system, then any eS/gS-Series MFDs within the system would need to be updated with the latest version of LightHouse 3 software. The Axiom MFD and eS/gS-Series MFD should be interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications.

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 09-26-18 10:25 AM

Chuck thanks that seems to be a solution. You mention 2 items
1. ES7 needs to be updated to Lighhouse 3. Is that a must ? as now I have the C120 classic and ES7 with lighthouse 2 on same system and if I start a route my ES7 it shows up on the C120.

2. You talk about interfacing the new Axiom with the ES7 via ethernet communications . I assume that is Raynet ?
Is that a must? if not whats the pros and cons of doing it. If I connect the Quantum 2 to the Axiom with a hard cable then wouldn't I need a Raynet switch box and to accomplish this as there is only 1 Raynet connection on each MFD

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-26-18 12:16 PM

E.hatch2086,

Q1. 1. ES7 needs to be updated to Lighhouse 3. Is that a must ? as now I have the C120 classic and ES7 with lighthouse 2 on same system and if I start a route my ES7 it shows up on the C120.
A1. Compatible Raymarine MFDs having an Ethernet Network communications interface are designed to be interfaced to one another by their respective Ethernet communications interfaces rather than via SeaTalk, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, or NMEA 0183 communications protocols. This also requires that the MFDs be running the same version of software. While interfacing the MFDs to one another via SeaTalk, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, or NMEA 0183 communications protocols may be possible, it will severely restrict the data and features shared between the MFDs. When interfaced via the latter protocols, the resulting system would at best feature the amount of data sharing presently supported between the eS-Series MFD and C-Series Classic MFD within your system.

Q2. You talk about interfacing the new Axiom with the ES7 via ethernet communications . I assume that is Raynet ?
A2. Yes. RayNet simply describe's the style of plug/socket featured by the product or Ethernet networking component. Raymarine has historically used RayNet, SeaTalkhs, and RJ45 for such plugs and sockets.

Q3. Is that a must? if not whats the pros and cons of doing it.
Q3. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q4. If I connect the Quantum 2 to the Axiom with a hard cable then wouldn't I need a Raynet switch box and to accomplish this as there is only 1 Raynet connection on each MFD.
A4. Yes. A HS5 RayNet Network Switch would be required to interface these MFDs to one another and to the Quantum 2 radome.

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 09-26-18 02:24 PM

Thanks Chuck that answers my questions

RE: [CA11] C classic 120 to Axiom 12 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 09-26-18 03:07 PM

You're welcome.