Raymarine forum
Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome Compatibility - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Radar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=125)
+--- Thread: Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome Compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=6916)

Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome Compatibility - olesenrl - 11-12-18 10:09 AM

I need to replace the radar on our boat which has a 2008 E120 MFD with a high speed switch on the network. Is the Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome compatible with it? If it is what cables do I need for the mast, and commenting through the deck to the nav station. I hope someone can help me.

Bob

RE: Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome Compatibility - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-13-18 10:50 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

General comment: As Raymarine can no provide parts and service for radomes having an analog video interface (ex. M92650-S 2D, E52079 RD218 scanner, etc.) and the C/E-Series Classic MFDs, it is recommended that one proceed with caution when considering to purchase such second hand products. It should be noted that E-Series Classic MFDs which have been updated with the latest software (v5.69) are compatible with HD Radomes as well. The latter continue to be produced, sold, serviced, and supported by Raymarine.

Q1. Is the Raymarine RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome compatible with a a 2008 E120 MFD?
A1. Should the MFD have been updated with the final release of E-Series Classic MFD software (v5.69), then it will indeed be compatible with the RD424HD 4kW HD Digital Radome.

Q2. If it is what cables do I need for the mast, and commenting through the deck to the nav station.
A2. The bolt patterns of the Digital or HD Digital Radomes are identical to those of the analog radomes which had been designed for use with the C/E-Series Classic MFDs and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays Likewise, bolt patterns of the HD/Super HD Open Array Radar Scanners are identical to those of the analog open array radar scanners which had been designed for use with the E-Series Classic MFDs.

Radar cables designed for use with the RD218, RD424, 2D, 4D, 5S, 7S, 9S, and 11S radomes and open array pedestal are not compatible with Digital/HD Digital Radomes and HD/SuperHD Open Array Pedestals. The Digital/HD Digital Radome or HD/SuperHD Open Array Pedestal will be interfaced to the system via Digital Radar Cable. Digital Radar Cable should not be cut. In sailing vessels, it is recommended that a Digital Radar Extension Cable should be chased from the radar scanner’s power / communications interface port to the base of the mast, pole mount or backstay. This will permit the Digital Radar Extension Cable to be quickly and cleanly disconnected from the vessel's wiring should the mast, pole mount, backstay mount, etc. be removed. The Digital Radar Extension Cable will be connected to an appropriate length of Digital Radar Cable w/RayNet (F) plug.

Should the current system feature a SeaTalkhs Network Switch or SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather/Radio Receiver / Network Switch featuring an unused port, then the Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to a switched 12 or 24 VDC power circuit and may be adapted to mate to the network switch’s RJ45 socket via an A80513 RayNet Male to RJ45 Adaptor Cable.