Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Fishfinders (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User (/showthread.php?tid=6963)

[CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User - MB19565 - 11-23-18 07:36 PM

This summer I purchased a 2013 Center Console boat equipped with a Raymarine e7d and a P58 Transom Mounted Transducer. Overall I found the unit to be user friendly and easily upgraded to the newest version of software.

I Live in Coastal NH and fish for striped bass. Fishing depths range from 4-60 feet. I feel that the fishfinding functionality of the e7d has been good- but I would not classify it as great. I would like to see more definition and a greater ability to differentiate fish form bottom debris. I was never really able to get that signature curved marking of fish that you see on many units. Full disclosure this could be my inexperience with fishfinders and might be a setting issue? See attached picture- in this case I couldn't tell if these were fish or debris in the water. I have not played with the TVQ or Gain Settings. Would that make a differnce?

My Question is if there are any possible upgrades that I could make without replacing the whole unit? Really looking for more powerful and useful fishfinding. Would adding a down vision unit like the CP100 make a huge difference?

Thanks so much for your input!

-Marc

RE: [CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-26-18 10:56 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Marc,

The imaging from your MFD's Fishfinder application appears quite typical. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, adjustments to the Fishfinder application's gain settings (Gain, Intensity / Color Gain) can aid in marking fish. It is recommended that you also consider using the MFD's Bottom Lock feature when bottom fishing to permit the greatest contrast between the bottom and fish suspended slightly above. Detailed information on this subject may be found within Chapter 15: Sonar (Fishfinder) application of the LightHouse II Release 19 Operating Instructions. As indicated therein, additional sonar technologies (ex. low power CHIRP conical / DownVision, SideVision, 1kW 50kHz/200kHz, and 1kW CHIRP) may be added to the MFD's fishfinder features though the addition of sonar module (ex. CP100, CP200, CP370, and CP470/CP570) and compatible transducer(s). Each type of sonar brings a different type of imaging to the table in aiding to understand what is beneath or near the vessel. 50kHz/200kHz sonar and CHIRP sonar are the best choices for identifying fish within the water column. DownVision and SideVision are very helpful in identifying / locating structure, which in turn typically hold fish.

Finally, if the MFD has not already been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update (LightHouse II v19.03 at the time of this response), then it is recommended that its software be updated accordingly.

RE: [CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User - MB19565 - 12-18-18 03:29 PM

Thank you so much for your help and Response! I will review the links that you provided,

Thank you!

RE: [CA11] e7D Fishfinder Upgrade Questions- New User - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 12-18-18 03:52 PM

You're welcome.