Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD (/showthread.php?tid=7175)

[CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Rom - 01-08-19 04:07 PM

Hi all,

I have 2 chart plotters an a125 and a gs165. I want to be able to read Navionics charts for the same region on both, my understanding is that I only need one subscription with charts loaded on the SD card and both MFDs linked using a raynet to raynet cable. Is this correct?

Further to this, I seem to be having the issue with the charts display whereby the area I am in appears as a white missing puzzle. I want to perform a software update but I am aware that updating one ( i think the gs165 ?) to lighthouse 3 will make it incompatible with the a125 ( which doesn't support lighthouse 3?). Should I therefore be looking to update both to: v19.03 ?

Many thanks

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-08-19 04:17 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rom,

Q1. I have 2 chart plotters an a125 and a gs165. I want to be able to read Navionics charts for the same region on both, my understanding is that I only need one subscription with charts loaded on the SD card and both MFDs linked using a raynet to raynet cable. Is this correct?
A1. Indeed this is correct. In a nutshell, all system data and resources except for NTSC/PAL video (ex. CAM100/CAM50, DVD player, thermal camera w/NTSC/PAL video interface, etc.).

Q2. I seem to be having the issue with the charts display whereby the area I am in appears as a white missing puzzle.
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. I want to perform a software update but I am aware that updating one ( i think the gs165 ?) to lighthouse 3 will make it incompatible with the a125 ( which doesn't support lighthouse 3?). Should I therefore be looking to update both to: v19.03 ?
A3. Systems featuring an a/c/e-Series MFD cannot be updated with LightHouse 3 software.

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Rom - 01-08-19 04:28 PM

Hi Chuck,

That is great information. Based on your response to question 3. Can I therefore assume that the area not shaded grey is the area for which the Freshest data update was successful?

I performed an update on the chart installer with navionics and did see that selector box around a particular area however as I ticked the 'update charts' box and saw that the file was about 1.7GB I assumed it was doing the entire region and not just the area selected.

Thanks again,
Rom

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-08-19 04:59 PM

Rom,

The Navionics software libraries (supplied by Navionics to marine electronics developers) are responsible to the shading described within the previously referenced FAQ. While I suspect that the areas which lack grey shading have been updated, it is recommended that Navionics Support (508-291-6000) be contacted for further information on this subject.

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Rom - 01-09-19 08:41 AM

Hi Chuck,

Thanks again, I see you guessed that I made the mistake with the question numbers. Is there a way of removing this option so the areas don't appear grey?

Thanks,
Rom

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-09-19 09:53 AM

Rom,

Q. Is there a way of removing this option so the areas don't appear grey?
A. Unfortunately, there are no configuration settings available within LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software to prevent this from occurring. The Navionics libraries with which the LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software will simply react in the manner which you have observed. Should the chart card be a Navionics+ chart card, then I would suggest that the feature within the Navionics Chart Installer be utilized to erase the contents of the chart card. After doing so, then the checkboxes for Nautical Charts and SonarCharts (if the latter are desired) should be selected and the graphical box adjusted to include only region (ex. (US Northeast, MidAtlantic, etc.) where you will immediately be boating, and then command the Freshest Data update. For those having Navionics Platinum+ chart cards, simply select both Nautical Charts and SonarCharts and then command the Freshest Data update. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, I would recommend avoiding WiFi Navionics chart updates via the Navionics Boating app which are in turn transmitted to the Navionics chart card within the MFD's memory card reader.

RE: [CA11] Networking an a165 and gs165 MFD - Rom - 01-09-19 02:51 PM

Great information, thanks again.