Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged (/showthread.php?tid=7967)

[CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged - West32 - 04-19-19 06:15 AM

This system was installed last year and worked Flawlessly. I launched the boat yesterday after sitting for 6 month and took it for a ride. As soon as I engage Autopilot, it immediately turns the rudders one way or the other all the way. It worked perfectly last year. Its a Raymarine ACU 150 with a P70R. I tried resetting the compass, I tried updating the firmware, It checked for Magnetics and was fine. The Heading is accurate, the rudder reference is accurate. I have an Axiom 12 Pro and Axiom 12 as my MFD's. I updated the software for all the components yesterday as well. The only difference from Last year to this year is the Radar. I upgraded the Dome from the Quantum 1 to the 2.
Any thoughts?
Even at the Slip, I engage the AP, it will sit there and do nothing. I turn the knob slightly (3 clicks) and the AP turns the rudders hard over immediately.

RE: [CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-23-19 09:45 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum West32,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing actions to be taken after having updated an Evolution autopilot's software ... most notably, the Pilot Factory Reset. Please additionally note that a Pilot Factory Reset command will erase any change which had been made to autopilots drive motor phasing configuration setting. Accordingly, should drive motor phasing be determined to be reversed (i.e. drive unit or rudder moves in a direction which is opposite from that which has been commanded) when performing the Dockside Wizard, then it would be recommended that the drive unit's Motor A and B connections to the ACU be reversed rather than change the drive unit's phasing within the autopilot's settings. This will prevent drive unit motor phasing issues after performing any future Evolution autopilot software updates or autopilot factory resets.

It is also recommended that you examine the autopilot's rudder bar feature to verify that the rudder angle is correctly reflected in the rudder bar as the rudder is shifted to port and starboard. If not, then please respond accordingly. Please additionally note that it is normal for the rudder to continue to its stops if rudder if in AUTO mode, and a heading change is commanded, and no change in sensed heading is sensed as rudder is applied (i.e. this feature can only be effectively tested while underway). Should the execution of the items specified within the referenced FAQ and should the problem persist when operating in AUTO mode thereafter, then it may indicate a problem with a speed through water (STW) sensor associated with an instrument or fishfinder transducer. Changing the speed source to from STW to SOG within the autopilot's settings (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->SPEED INPUT->SOG) may be used as a workaround until such time as the STW sensor is addressed.

RE: [CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged - West32 - 04-25-19 04:33 PM

Thanks Chuck

It ended up being the Polarity was backwards on the pump. Last year I must have Electronically switched the Polarity. This year, the software update must have switched it back. I physically swapped the wires, and its perfect again.

thanks

Eric

RE: [CA11] ACU 150 / P70R - Rudders turn hard over when AP is Engaged - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 04-26-19 08:24 AM

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.