Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions (/showthread.php?tid=8143)

[CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Wdeertz - 05-06-19 10:53 AM

Current equipment is as follows:

Pilothouse:
E120 classic mfd
Raymarine 24” 4kW radomes radar
Raymarine ST60+ depth (connected via Seatalk)
Raymarine ST60 rudder indicator (connected via Seatalk)
Raymarine Cam50 (connected via BNC)
Raymarine ST6001+ autopilot (connected via Seatalk)
Raymarine 400G autopilot computer (I think connected via Seatalk)
Raymarine 125 GPS (connected via Seatalk)
Airmar PB150 weather station (connected to NMEA183 multiplexer)
Icom AIS class B MA-500TR transponder (connected to NMEA183 multiplexer)
Actisense nmea183 multiplexer (connected to E120 NMEA183 input)
YDWG-02 NMEA2000 WiFi gateway (connected to E120 STng)

Flybridge:
E80 classic mfd (connected to E120 via SThs)

I’ve read the following post (http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=2965)
on upgrading the E120 so I think I have a basic understanding but still not 100% clear. Everything is working albeit at an outdated resolution and processing speed, hence my desire to upgrade the mfd.

If I understand what I’ve read i’ll Be able to utilize all my existing Seatalk devices. All non-autopilot devices will be daisy chained together and connected to the new mfd via Seatalk to SeaTalkng converter. A separate Seatalk bus will be created for the autopilot Seatalk devices and connect to the new mfd via a Seatalk to SeaTalkng converter. Is my understanding correct?

The nmea183 multiplexer in/out will connect to the new mfd NMEA183?

I’m considering either the gS series or Axiom Pro mfd. I’ll need to update my Analog radar since it will not work with the new mfd. if I go with an axiom I can go with a radome quantum (or 2) and connect via WiFi while with the gS series I’ll need a digital radome or HD color which will require running a new cable up my mast. The radome has the advantage of a 48 mile range versus only 24 miles for the quantum. Is my understanding correct?

I’m thinking of not replacing the E80 on the flybridge but instead stream everything from the new mfd via WiFi to an IPad Pro. Either gS or axiom Pro will be able to do this?

Thanks, appreciate your feedback.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-07-19 03:45 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wdeertz,

Q1. If I understand what I’ve read i’ll Be able to utilize all my existing Seatalk devices. All non-autopilot devices will be daisy chained together and connected to the new mfd via Seatalk to SeaTalkng converter.
A1. Correct

Q2. A separate Seatalk bus will be created for the autopilot Seatalk devices and connect to the new mfd via a Seatalk to SeaTalkng converter. Is my understanding correct?
A2. Again correct.

Q3. The nmea183 multiplexer in/out will connect to the new mfd NMEA183?
A3. Again correct

Q4. I’m considering either the gS series or Axiom Pro mfd.
A4. While the Axiom Pro or gS-Series MFD (would recommend considering an Axiom XL MFD over a gS-Series MFD)

Q5, I’ll need to update my Analog radar since it will not work with the new mfd. if I go with an axiom I can go with a radome quantum (or 2) and connect via WiFi while with the gS series I’ll need a digital radome or HD color which will require running a new cable up my mast. The radome has the advantage of a 48 mile range versus only 24 miles for the quantum. Is my understanding correct?
A5. Negative with respect to Quantum radome compatibility. MFDs running the latest versions of LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software feature support for Quantum radomes. However, if seeking a Quantum 2 radome, then an Axiom Pro or Axiom XL MFD would be recommended to utilize all of the features of the Quantum 2 radome. I strongly recommend Quantum 2 radomes to those who ask for a recommendation. This is because of the added situational awareness provided by their Doppler technology, which requires no interaction with the customer to determine whether targets are moving toward or away from one's vessel.

Q6. I’m thinking of not replacing the E80 on the flybridge but instead stream everything from the new mfd via WiFi to an IPad Pro. Either gS or axiom Pro will be able to do this?
A6. While using Raymarine's RayView or RayControl app would certainly be possible with an iPad, I don't have any experience with the iPad Pro. You may want to consider installing the free RayView or RayControl app (the latter is recommended) onto the iPad Pro and then taking it to your Raymarine dealer to test the app with an Axiom, Axiom Pro, or Axiom XL (any one of these will do) or gS-Series MFD (should you opt to go with this option.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Wdeertz - 05-10-19 10:24 AM

Chuck, thanks for the helpful response. I’ve read the various installation manuals and user manuals for the axiom pro to ensure I have a full understanding before tackling this project.

Can you confirm i’ll Have full control of the 400g autopilot from the axiom pro mfd (assuming properly connected to axiom pro SeaTalkng backbone via converter)? The manual only mentions the EV autopilot.

Thanks

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-10-19 12:49 PM

Wdeertz,

Q. Can you confirm i’ll Have full control of the 400g autopilot from the axiom pro mfd (assuming properly connected to axiom pro SeaTalkng backbone via converter)? The manual only mentions the EV autopilot.
A. Negative. The Autopilot Controls feature of MFD's running LightHouse 3 software is exclusively supported for use with Evolution autopilots. Please click here to view a FAQ providing more information on this subject and the features to be expected when interfaced to legacy Raymarine autopilots. As indicated therein, for owners of compatible legacy Raymarine autopilots (ex. 400G), this simply means that a compatible autopilot control head MUST be interfaced to the autopilot and MUST be used for performing setup, calibration, mode (STANDBY, AUTO, TRACK) changes, dodging / heading changes (when in AUTO mode), and acknowledging waypoint arrival / course changes (when in TRACK mode). The MFD will simply be responsible to sending steering information to the waypoint being tracked to.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Wdeertz - 05-11-19 04:28 PM

Chuck, ok thanks for the clarification on the autopilot. I’m about to place my order and need to check I have the right cables.

I will replace my analog radar with a quantum 2. I dread needing to run a new cable up the mast (don’t trust WiFi connection). I see there is a A80308 y cable for the quantum 2, will this work with my existing cable (see attached photo)? If so the y cable goes next to the quantum 2, what cable adapter is used to connect to the back of the axiom pro mfd?

I will be replacing my E80 mfd on the flybridge with an axiom pro 12. The E80m is currently connected via SeaTalkHS Ethernet cable (male on both ends). Is A80160 raynet female to SThs female what I need on both ends?

Since the flybridge mfd will just be a slave to the Axiom Pro 16 in the pilothouse is there a more economical solution than the AP12? Would a gS series using Lighthouse 3 work equally well?

Thanks for all the help.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-13-19 10:27 AM

Wdeertz,

Q1. I will replace my analog radar with a quantum 2. I see there is a A80308 y cable for the quantum 2, will this work with my existing cable (see attached photo)?
A1. Negative.

Q2. I will be replacing my E80 mfd on the flybridge with an axiom pro 12. The E80m is currently connected via SeaTalkHS Ethernet cable (male on both ends). Is A80160 raynet female to SThs female what I need on both ends?
A2. Yes. The A80160 RayNet (F) to SeaTalkhs (F) Adapter may be used to adapt a SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) Cable to instead be mated to the Ethernet Network (RayNet) socket of an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL or a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Q3. Since the flybridge mfd will just be a slave to the Axiom Pro 16 in the pilothouse is there a more economical solution than the AP12? Would a gS series using Lighthouse 3 work equally well?
A4. As the system does not already feature an eS-Series MFD or gS-Series MFD, adding a gS-Series MFD to an Axiom Pro system would not typically be recommended as Raymarine will likely discontinue LightHouse 3 software updates for the eS/gS-Series MFDs at some point ... possibly before the end of this year. If seeking an more economical MFD for the flybridge, it would be recommended that an Axiom 12 MFD be considered. A RMK-10 may also be installed on the flybridge to permit the Axiom MFD to be operated via the keyboard as well as via the MFD's touchscreen should this be desired.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Wdeertz - 05-13-19 08:13 PM

Chuck, thanks for the clarifications. I’m also looking to add a couple of Cam210/220’s connected via switch A80007. Does switch A80007 output POE power? The manual isn’t clear. The picture makes it appear a single RayNet Cable will suffice but no where does it mention POE. If this switch does POE what is the maximum watts?

If this switch doesn’t do Poe is there another raymarine switch which does? I see the axiom xl Ports output Poe so this may sway me to the xl over the pro.

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-14-19 07:37 AM

Wdeertz,

Q. Does switch A80007 output POE power?
A. The HS5 RayNet Network Switch is not a POE switch. FLIR offers the 4113746 single port POE injector (15.4W) and the 4141042 4 port POE switch (30W/port).

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Wdeertz - 05-14-19 09:00 AM

Chuck, ok glad I confirmed this before placing my order. Can you confirm what connector is on the CAM210/220? Is it a female RJ45 or raynet? The manual/website isn’t clear. Thanks

RE: [CA11] Upgrade E120 questions - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-14-19 09:27 AM

Wdeertz,

Each of Raymarine's IP marine cameras have been terminated with a male RJ45 plug. A weatherproof coupler is packed with these cameras. An appropriate length of marine grade CAT6 patch cable (RJ45 (M) plugs on each end) would be used to interface the coupler to a PoE injector. If interfacing the camera to the POE port of an Axiom XL MFD, then an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable would be used to interface the coupler to one of the Axiom XL MFD's PoE ports.