Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Radar (/forumdisplay.php?fid=125)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while (/showthread.php?tid=8377)

[CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 05-28-19 01:05 PM

Hi I have a Quantum 2 radar dome and Axiom 12 MFD purchased and installed in fall 2018. I have used both at the dock a number of times no issue, The power to the dome and Axiom comes from same main circuit. I then split it with a two switches and fuses one for each item, The dome is connected to the Axiom via a Raymarine cable for the data - not using wifi
This past weekend went out for a motor to see how everything works. For the first 30 min everything great with Axiom and radar. switched between radar screen, chart screen and with radar overlay on chart. Then on way back noticed there was no radar image anymore on overlay. Switched to the radar app and an on button appeared but when hit it it would not turn the radar back on, When got to dock turned Axiom off and on via its own button then did same with each circuit and the main breaker for both. Still no luck. went away for while came back and it had turned on and allowed me then to hit the transmit button for the radar. Left it on for about 3 hours all ok at dock.

Any idea on what may be issue on what it wouldn't turn on.

RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-03-19 04:03 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum E.hatch2086,

The symptom which you described sounds as though the radome went into sleep mode or that insufficient power was available to the radome. Should you have fully charged the system's batteries prior to leaving the dock, and should the engines have been charging the electronics batteries when underway, then it may well be that the radome went into sleep mode. Improvements have been made to the Quantum and Quantum 2 software to improve waking from sleep mode. It is recommended that you verify that the radome has been updated with the latest Quantum 2 software. After doing so, then it is recommended that the Axiom MFD also be updated with the latest available software update (update the radome's software first if found to not be current). Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that a Power ON Reset be individually performed on each of the system's MFDs to address the reported issue.

RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 06-08-19 02:21 PM

Hi Chuck, it happened again today after about 2 hours of motoring the radar image went blank. When trying to turn radar on again no luck. Then tried turning everything off and restarting Axiom , but could not start radar from the Axiom screen said no radar found. After arrived at destination and restarted again was able to get radar to turn on. Boat is own battery power now voltage and batteries fine. Checked what version running Axiom 3.9.46 and the Quantum 2 has version 2.43 I believe both are the latest software. Went away for 2 hours everything off then restarted it found the radar. Turned things off and after 30 minutes could not start radar until tried about 6 times.
The diagnostic screen says voltage 12.3. Looked at checking for updates and beside the Axiom and Quantum 2 it also shows a Quantum wired adapter. Not sure what version it is and when try to update it via WiFi it says some updates failed. Will try again when get back to homeport Sunday. Could not find on web any info on Quantum wired adapter software version

-----------------

Hi Chuck as a follow up to my Sat reply
Latter on Saturday performed a reset on the Axiom as you noted. Then reloaded my way points and routes.
On Sunday prior to return trip started the system radar connected ok. On way back with engine and generator running everything ok for about 1.75 hrs. Sea conditions calm . Then noticed radar overlay gone,checked radar and it had turned off. Tried to restart it and tried turning its power on and off no luck. About 10 minutes latter we made it to dock. Tried for about 10min to get radar on finally it turned on. Left it own at dock for about 8hrs no problem.
Any ideas what to do?

When you say it sounds like radar went to sleep is there any way to prevent this feature.

Have noticed that sometimes after turning Axiom off when I start it and go to the radar it shows radar on in standby, other times when I go to the radar notice radar is off so I need to press the on button .

-----------------

Hi Chuck as a follow up to my Sat reply
Latter on Saturday performed a reset on the Axiom as you noted. Then reloaded my way points and routes.
On Sunday prior to return trip started the system radar connected ok. On way back with engine and generator running everything ok for about 1.75 hrs. Sea conditions calm . Then noticed radar overlay gone,checked radar and it had turned off. Tried to restart it and tried turning its power on and off no luck. About 10 minutes latter we made it to dock. Tried for about 10min to get radar on finally it turned on. Left it own at dock for about 8hrs no problem.
Any ideas what to do?

When you say it sounds like radar went to sleep is there any way to prevent this feature.

Have noticed that sometimes after turning Axiom off when I start it and go to the radar it shows radar on in standby, other times when I go to the radar notice radar is off so I need to press the on button .

RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-10-19 09:38 AM

E.hatch2086,

The radomes will go into sleep mode when communications with the MFD has not been able to be achieved or when communications is lost between the MFD and the radome. This is the intended action to reduce power consumption by the radome within systems which not installed a dedicated switched power circuit ... not considered a best practice. Generally, the radome should awaken from sleep mode when the MFD is switched on and communications with the radome is established. However, in cases where the radome does not awake from sleep mode, it will be necessary to reboot the radome by switching its power circuit OFF and then back ON again. By powering the radome from a dedicated switched power circuit, power to the radome may be switched OFF and then ON again to wake the radome from sleep mode without affecting the power state of the system's other electronics.

That said and as the problem cannot be duplicated at the dock, attention should be focused to verifying that there are no intermittent power, ground, or communications connections to the radome. Should any cable have been spliced or fitted with a new connector, then that is the first place that attention should be focused. Flexing the cables leading to such splices or connector while the radar is operating may trigger the radome to cease transmitting and thus identify the source of the failure. Should no fault be found within the latter, then the system should be tested for sources electrical interference and appropriate isolation should be applied if any are identified.

Should none of the above identify the source of the problem, then it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted to visit the boat to troubleshoot and/or correct the problem

RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - E.hatch2086@cox.net - 06-10-19 03:55 PM

Thanks Chuck for info. Will do further investigation regarding power supply

Things to note and questions
The Axiom and the Quantum 2 are on the same 15 amp breaker. This circuit was previously used to power my C120 and the radar dome vintage 2004. Never had a problem with that radar. Is the Quantum more finicky regarding power supply?

I did add a Bluesea switch/fuse box for the Axiom and Quantum next to the Axiom. So each now has a dedicated on/off switch and dedicated fuse as was suggested. note after the radar goes to sleep I can not get it back up by simply turning the radar switch off and on it usually take time and many tries.

The Quantum was wired with the new Raymarine power cable to the switch box and networked to the Axiom with the Raymarine net work cable.

Could there be an issue with the power connection at the Quantum dome not being a solid connection ? Is there any way to check the voltage or current going to the Quantum like some diagnostic screen on the Axiom?

RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 radar turned off unexpectedly and would not turn on for a while - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-11-19 09:31 AM

E.hatch2086,

Q1. Is the Quantum more finicky regarding power supply?
A1. Not that we are aware of. However, if the electronics have not been isolated from high current demanding devices, it is possible that activating such devices may momentarily cause the power available to the Quantum radome to drop below that which it requires to operate. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. I did add a Bluesea switch/fuse box for the Axiom and Quantum next to the Axiom. So each now has a dedicated on/off switch and dedicated fuse as was suggested. note after the radar goes to sleep I can not get it back up by simply turning the radar switch off and on it usually take time and many tries.
A2. Improvements in Quantum/Quantum2 software have been made within the latest available LighHouse 3 software for Axiom and Quantum/Quantum 2 software. If not currently operating with the latest available software updates for each of these product's it is recommended that the Quantum/Quantum 2 radome's software be updated prior to updated the MFD's software with LH3 v3.9.46 software.

Q3. Could there be an issue with the power connection at the Quantum dome not being a solid connection ?
A3. Possibly. It would be recommended that both the Quantum power cable and data cable be unplugged from the Quantum/Quantum 2 radome, that they be inspected for signs of damage or corrosion, that they be re-seated, and that their locking ring be fully engaged. Voltage may only be tested by unplugging the radome from its power cable and then measuring voltage at the cable's plug.

Q4. Is there any way to check the voltage or current going to the Quantum like some diagnostic screen on the Axiom?
A4. Unfortunately, such diagnostics are not available. Current would need to be measured via an amp meter which would be connected to the radome's power cable.