Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] A57D external alarm capability (/showthread.php?tid=8475)

Pages: 1 2

[CA11] A57D external alarm capability - bucky - 06-06-19 09:40 AM

current system:
mfd A57D located at nav station
transducer P79 in hull
no network
mfd supplies gps location to vhf 0183 from power/NMEA cable
this is a stand alone back up system to my primary system, it is my intent to keep these 2 systems separate in case there is a failure in either system

question 1) is there a way to connect an external alarm buzzer or audible device at the helm with out developing a seatalkng network for that sole purpose?

question 2) will a seatlkng network allow for a external alarm?

goal: back up to shallow water alarm on primary system at the helm

searched "external alarm A57D" got nothing

thank you
bucky

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-06-19 11:47 AM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bucky,

Unlike the more capable E-Series Classic MFDs of this period, the A-Series Classic MFDs did not feature an alarm port/cable. While Raymarine recently introduced the A80614 Seatalkng Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer, this accessory is not designed to sound for alarms generated by an A-Series Classic MFD. Appendices A through R of the of the SeaTalkNG Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer Installation Instructions provide a comprehensive list of alarms which the A80614 SeaTalkNG Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer will suppport. While Raymarine recently introduced the Seatalkng Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer, this accessory is unfortunately not designed to sound for most alarms generated by MFDs running software prior to the latest available LightHouse 3 software (v3.10.71 at the time of this response). As indicated within its title, this product is designed to be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. To remotely hear alarms sounded by an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD, the MFD's Bluetooth feature may also be used to connect the MFD to a Bluetooth amplified speaker which will be located within the space where the alarm is desired to be heard. Alternatively, many owners will elect to install a low cost MFD (ex. Axiom 7 MFD with no internal fishfinder circuitry or bundled cartography) within the space where the alarm is desired to be heard. The advantage of the latter is that information concerning the nature of the alarm will be available to operator at the remote location, and it will be possible to cancel the alarm at the remote location. As indicated within its title, this product is designed to be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - bucky - 07-02-19 09:56 AM

revised proposed network to produce external audible shallow water alarm:

p79 transducer provides depth info to A57d mfd

mfd shares depth info to stng network backbone [Raymarine Seatalk1 To Sea Talk-Ng Converter E22158]

depth data from backbone is shared to st50 depth instrument

st50 instrument processes data and produces shallow water alarm

alarm info returns to stng backbone and is then sent to A80614 Seatalkng Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer

is this viable?
this may seem convoluted but i own most of the equipment and would like to avoid buying more expensive parts

thank you bucky

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-02-19 01:32 PM

Bucky,

I do not believe that your proposed solution will work. While instruments will repeat supported data from the SeaTalk bus, they will not produce alarms in response to repeated data. Additionally, ST50 instruments are not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The best solution may be to replace the ST50 Depth Instrument with one of the following options:

- an i50 Depth Instrument and then additionally install an E26001-pz P79 Instrument transducer which in turn would be interfaced to the i50 Depth instrument. The i50 Depth Instrument, A57D MFD, and Seatalkng Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer would each then be interfaced to one another via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. To prevent interference with the i50 Depth Instrument, the A57D's Fishfinder application would be configured only to ping a 50khz.

- an i70S Multifunction Instrument Display (MFID) and then additionally install a T70278 P79 Smart Instrument transducer. The i70S Depth Instrument, Smart P79, A57D MFD, and Seatalkng Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer would each then be interfaced to one another via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As the P79 Smart Instrument transducer operates at 235kHz, the A57D's Fishfinder application may be configured for Auto, 50kHz, or 200kHz without concern for depth transducer interference.

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - bucky - 07-21-19 10:46 PM

chuck
thanks for your reply
in your reply you state "Additionally, ST50 instruments are not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter."
the goal of the converter is to convert st1 to stng, the st50 series "talk" st1, why is the converter not able to make the conversion. if the answer is super technical i will just accept that it wont do it. i dont want you to have to write a book on why it won't but if there is an easy answer i would like to know
bucky

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 07-22-19 09:38 AM

Bucky,

The ST50 instruments featured support for an earlier version of SeaTalk communications than the ST-STng Converter was designed to support. The changeover occurred with the introduction of the ST50+ instruments. While it is possible that a level of communications may be achieved between the ST50 instruments and the A-Series MFD when interfaced via a ST-STng Converter, communications cannot be guaranteed and should any communications/data issues arise within the system, then it could only be recommended that these instruments be disconnected from the system.

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - bucky - 08-15-19 06:15 PM

chuck
the previous discussion has been about my secondary nav system.

on my primary nav network i have the following existing equipment
e125 mfd
st50 depth
st70 repeater
stng network
there's more but i don't think it has any affect on what i'm trying to accomplish which is a loud audible shallow water alarm at the helm

im thinking that with the addition of a RAYMARINE A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER onto the stng network
and the correct alarm settings on the st70, i can accomplish my goal
your thoughts?
bucky

[internal shallow water alarm on the mfd works fine but diesel aux drowns it out]

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-19-19 03:23 PM

Bucky,

Please note that ST50 instruments are not supported for use with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Accordingly, there is no guarantee that it may be used with the A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER. However, should an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Transducer Converter be installed within the backbone and should the instrument depth transducer instead be interfaced to the iTC-5, then an i70/i70 MFID would then be capable of configuring depth related alarms across the SeaTalkng backbone. The A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER may then be interfaced as a spur to the backbone and may well be loud enough (100 dBm) to satisfy your operational requirements.

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - bucky - 10-11-19 11:57 PM

VERSION 10/11/19

Goal: loud audible shallow water alarm at the helm

EQUIPMENT

Airmar p-19

Raymarine ST290 SeaTalk 2 Active Depth Transducer Pod E22067
or
Raymarine ST70/SeatalkNG E22106 Depth Pod

RAYMARINE ST70

RAYMARINE A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER

RAYMARINE STng network

your thoughts? viable?

thanks
bucky

RE: [CA11] A57D external alarm capability - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-14-19 10:25 AM

bucky,

The A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER has not been designed and tested for use with ST70 products and as such is not officially supported for use within this configuration. However, given similarities in communications protocol, should the products which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, then I believe that the chance of the shallow alarms sensed by the ST70 w/depth pod (either one) may trigger the A80614 SEATALKNG AUXILIARY ALARM BUZZER.