Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product Selection Assistance (/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? (/showthread.php?tid=8556)

[CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? - Alan Kibbe - 06-12-19 01:25 PM

I began replacing/upgrading my older, mostly Raymarine, electronics, last Spring. The attached drawing is what is presently installed. All worked seamlessly in 2018.

I have begun to have some heading problems with my Autopilot. The ST6001+ plus will lose the Heading display, and instead show an X-Track Error screen with dashes where numbers would be. This happens on Standby, on a Locked Heading, or when Navigating. Pushing AUTO or STANDBY will restore the Heading display for a few moments and then revert to the X-Track Error screen. Is this a symptom of a known problem/failure?

Since I have replaced the FG compass in the past, I am thinking it's time to replace the Autopilot. I am thinking I would keep the Type 1 Rotary Drive and rudder sensor(for now) and purchase an ACU-200 and EV-1 Sensor.

Questions:
1. Can I use the not-used SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 Converter to accept 2 Spurs from the EV-1 and ACU-200 without using the NMEA 0183 socket? I would extend the SeaTalkng backbone to a new location for the converter and just use the 2 spur connections. If it's a yes, do I put a black plug in the yellow socket?
2. Both Axiom displays are connected separately to the SeaTalkng backbone and to each other via Ethernet. Any problem with that? It seemed that this would assure ST data at either display if the other unit were turned off.
3. While the Axiom displays can control the new ACU-200, I like the big red AUTO and STANDBY buttons on the ST6001+. Will this ST6000 unit continue to function if it simply remains connected to the STng backbone? Or do I need a new P70 Control Head for the push button functionality?

RE: [CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-12-19 02:58 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Alan,

Q1. Is this a symptom of a known problem/failure?
A1. The symptom would seem to be indicative of a failure within the autopilot's control head.

Q2a. Can I use the not-used SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 Converter to accept 2 Spurs from the EV-1 and ACU-200 without using the NMEA 0183 socket?
A2a. Yes.

Q2b. Do I put a black plug in the yellow socket?
A2b. Yes, a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug should be installed within the ST-STng Converter's SeaTalk (yellow) socket.

Q3. Both Axiom displays are connected separately to the SeaTalkng backbone and to each other via Ethernet. Any problem with that?
A3. Negative.

Q4a. While the Axiom displays can control the new ACU-200, I like the big red AUTO and STANDBY buttons on the ST6001+. Will this ST6000 unit continue to function if it simply remains connected to the STng backbone?
A4a. As indicated above, I believe that the issue which appears to be prompting the autopilot upgrade is more likely linked to a problem with the ST6001+ rather than with the autopilot course computer. Raymarine can no longer service the ST600x/ST700x/ST800x autopilot control heads. I would recommend replacing it with a p70S. While the Axiom MFDs may configure control an Evolution autopilot, it it generally considered to be a best installation practice to install a compatible autopilot control head which is capable of not only engaging the autopilots Standby, Auto, and Track modes, but which is also capable of setting up and configuring an Evolution autopilot (i.e. the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control heads).

RE: [CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? - Alan Kibbe - 06-13-19 12:10 PM

Thank you, Chuck.

RE: [CA11] Time to Upgrade to Evolution AP? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-13-19 12:26 PM

You're welcome.