Raymarine forum
Will my a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD need an external GPS Sensor? - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: Will my a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD need an external GPS Sensor? (/showthread.php?tid=916)

Will my a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD need an external GPS Sensor? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-25-16 02:38 PM

Will my a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom/Axiom Pro MFD need to be interfaced to a external GPS Sensor?

Within a network of a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs or Axiom/Axiom Pro MFDs, a single source of GPS data (LHII: HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->DATA SOURCES->GPS; LH3: HOME->Hold finger pressed to the displayed vessel coordinates->SATELLITES) will need to be specified via the system's Data Master MFD. Alternatively, the internal GPS receiver (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->INTERNAL GPS) of MFDs which will not be functioning as the system's GPS data source may be configured OFF. Failure to designate a single source of GPS data for the system may adversely affect the performance of the system to include periodic reports of GPS FIX loss, AIS Connection Lost, etc..

Should an a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom/AxiomPro MFD be installed in a location which does not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then such obstruction(s) may prevent the MFD's internal GPS receiver from receiving sufficient GPS satellite signal strength. For flush/surface mounted MFDs, the material that the MFD is mounted within may also reduce the GPS signal strength received by the MFD. Should insufficient GPS satellite signal strength be available to the MFD's internal GPS receiver, then the following symptoms may result:
- inability to acquire GPS FIX
- intermittent GPS FIX
- poor position accuracy (high HDOP ... this value will typically be 1.0 or lower in value)
- inaccurate SOG
- inaccurate COG
- stationary (tied dockside) vessel's GPS log/trip data items indicate movement of vessel
- stationary (tied dockside) vessel's track indicates movement of vessel

In such cases, it would be necessary to either
- select another a/c/e/eS-Series MFD or Axiom MFD which has been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead as the system's GPS data source, or
- install an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor, etc.) or external GPS antenna (ex. GA150 (a9x/a12x MFDs, eS9x/eS12x MFDs, Axiom Pro MFDs, and Axiom XL MFD only), etc.) in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, interface it to the system, and select it as the system's GPS data source.

RAYFAQ#