Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System (/showthread.php?tid=9645)

[CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - tday01 - 10-01-19 04:48 PM

The wind transducer on my E120 - ST60 ST6002 system has just failed.

I am not ready for a complete upgrade, but noticed that there is currently
a great deal on a wind / depth / speed i50 / i60 package.

I have some integration questions:
It appears that I can connect the i50/ i60 equipment to the Seatalk network via a Seatalk to SeatalkNG adaptor kit.
1. If I do this, will I be able to calibrate the i50/i60s with the existing equipment?
2. Is the wind transducer a direct replacement for the old one? i.e. Will it just screw into the fitting at the top of the mast? If not, can I reuse the cable in the mast?
3. Can I reuse the old depth transducer until I pull the boat to install the new one?

Many thanks

Tony
SV Alcyone
Hylas 54

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-02-19 03:09 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tony,

Q1. I have some integration questions:
It appears that I can connect the i50/ i60 equipment to the Seatalk network via a Seatalk to SeatalkNG adaptor kit.
A1. While it is possible to use a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit for this purpose, most who choose to replace the instruments alone will simply use a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable to permit these instruments to support SeaTalk communications with the system. Should the currently installed instruments be daisy chained to the SeaTalk bus, then one would simply
- unplug the SeaTalk Cable connecting the instruments to the SeaTalk bus from the back side of the ST60/ST60+ instrument and then plug this cable into a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable may be used to connect the first i50/i60 instrument to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.
- SeaTalkng Spur Cables may be used to daisy chain additional i50/i60 instruments to the aforementioned i50/i60 instrument which has been interfaced to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block; or
- a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable may be used to connect each instrument to the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks may be joined together via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on each end.

Q1. If I do this, will I be able to calibrate the i50/i60s with the existing equipment?
A1. As with the presently installed instruments, calibrations must be performed via the instruments which the transducers have been directly connected to.

Q2. Is the wind transducer a direct replacement for the old one? i.e. Will it just screw into the fitting at the top of the mast? If not, can I reuse the cable in the mast?
A2. Yes. The currently manufactured analog masthead wind transducers are designed to be secured to the same masthead block used by the wind transducers sold for use with the ST60 Wind instruments.

Q3. Can I reuse the old depth transducer until I pull the boat to install the new one?
A3. If the currently installed depth transducer is operational, then it may be retained for use with the i50 instrument.

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - tday01 - 10-02-19 05:03 PM

Thanks Chuck!

Another question.

I have read something about the newer wind transducer needing to be set at 70% when used with an older system. Is that something i need to do here with the i50?

Tony

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-03-19 09:34 AM

Tony,

The older wind instruments which were being referred to were those designs which had preceded the ST60 Wind instrument when use with the currently manufactured analog masthead transducers. It is not applicable to the upgrade that you are considering. Other devices within the system which are capable of displaying wind data will simply repeat the calibrated wind speed/direction data reported by the i60 Wind instrument.

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - tday01 - 10-08-19 08:24 PM

Hi Chuck,

I just read your first answer more carefully. Could I just daisy chain the 3 instruments with SeaTalkng cables and then use one adaptor cable to connect to the Seatalk1 bus?

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-09-19 10:27 AM

tday01,

Q. Could I just daisy chain the 3 instruments with SeaTalkng cables and then use one adaptor cable to connect to the Seatalk1 bus?
A. Yes.

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - tday01 - 10-22-19 10:05 AM

And do the instruments need to be terminated with the supplied terminators?

RE: [CA11] Integrating i50/i60 with older EClassic - ST6002System - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-22-19 10:26 AM

tday01,

Q. And do the instruments need to be terminated with the supplied terminators?
A. No SeaTalkng Termination Plugs should have been supplied with i50/i60 instruments. If black in color, the plug which you have referred to is a SeaTalkng Blanking Plug which is designed to protect an unoccupied SeaTalkng spur socket of a device or networking component from the marine environment.