Raymarine forum
Waypoint Acceptance - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Product and Feature Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=128)
+--- Thread: Waypoint Acceptance (/showthread.php?tid=969)

Waypoint Acceptance - Keith Pleas - 05-31-16 09:01 AM

Chuck wrote:

"However, out of concern for safety and liability, Raymarine autopilot and chartplotting products require that the operator be notified of waypoint arrival and that the operator be notified of the a course to be steered prior having the autopilot turn the vessel onto the new course."

I'm not following this safety and liability statement. IANAL, but the operator of the vessel has indicated the course that they want the boat to follow - presumably because they have verified safe passage. I would think that instructing to boat to continue straight - off the desired course - would have even greater liability. What am I missing?

RE: Waypoint Acceptance - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 05-31-16 09:28 AM

Route planning only takes into account fixed hazards to navigation (i.e. underwater obstructions, navaids, above water structures, land, etc.). It does not take into account dynamic hazards to navigation (other vessels, objects floating in the water, etc.). It is Raymarine's position that no amount of route planning can determine in advance the risks of collision which may be present with dynamic hazards to navigation when underway at some time in the future. It is only through maintenance of a proper lookout that one may assess whether risk of collision with another vessel, debris, etc. exists prior to execution of a turn. Upon acknowledgement by the operator that it is safe to turn the vessel onto the new course, the Raymarine autopilot will then turn the vessel accordingly toward the route's next waypoint.