Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] S100 handset replacement - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Autopilots (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] S100 handset replacement (/showthread.php?tid=9752)

[CA11] S100 handset replacement - Breakin Away - 10-17-19 08:54 PM

I recently suffered a little mishap with my S100 wireless remote. The remote got lodged in something while the lanyard was around my neck, and I stood up and accidentally gave it a big tug, causing the little plastic bar to break off. Fortunately I did not lose the handset. I've attempted a repair by drilling a small [censored] in the bottom, threading in a SS screw eye, and Krazy Glue-ing the screw eye in from outside and inside. I expect to get many years more service from it. I'll test it when I get back to the boat.

But just in case it doesn't work, I was wondering whether I would replace just the handset only and keep using my RF Base. I've seen ads for the handset only, but wondering whether it would be compatible with my current RF Base in my boat. Are these things programmed with serial numbers that prevent mixing handsets? Also, I see that some S100 handsets are black, while mine is gray. Does that make a difference in compatibility?

Finally, would the Smart Controller handset work with my RF base station (instead of the S100), or does it require its own RF base that's a different design?

RE: [CA11] S100 handset replacement - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 10-21-19 12:38 PM

Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Breakin Away,

Q1. I was wondering whether I would replace just the handset only and keep using my RF Base.
A1. It is indeed possible to replace only the remote itself. After obtaining a replacement, the S100 will need to be registered with the base station in accordance with the S100's operating instructions. The S100 remote's part number is A18104. Please click [url= http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=208] here[/url ] for information addressing how to purchase parts for Raymarne products as well as to obtain pricing information for the same.

Q2. I see that some S100 handsets are black, while mine is gray. Does that make a difference in compatibility?
A2. Negative.

Q3. Finally, would the Smart Controller handset work with my RF base station (instead of the S100), or does it require its own RF base that's a different design?
A3. A SmartController may indeed be registered for use with a wireless autopilot remote base station which had been previously used with a S100.