Raymarine forum
[CA] [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - Printable Version

+- Raymarine forum (http://forum.raymarine.com)
+-- Forum: Raymarine Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Multifunction Displays (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Thread: [CA] [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting (/showthread.php?tid=9862)

[CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - ray18 - 11-07-19 10:23 AM

Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha 70 hp engine data on my Raymarine Axiom 9" RV100 with LH 3.10.[censored] - troubleshooting - need help!!!

My previous attempt to display my 2019 Yamaha 70 hp engine data was successful displaying Total engine hour and trim level without motor running (ie. just had the key switch turned on but no motor running). I waited to get on the water to test the RPM and oil pressure etc. To my amazement, no RPM nor oil pressure nor fuel flow was displaying on my Axiom 9" RV100.

My total engine hours stopped displaying after my last outing last week, so I opened up the command link multi-hub to check for loose connections, but found no problems (the hub was getting voltage and 60 ohm between the blue and white data wire with all devices turned off as they should).

So, I am planning to buy a Yamaha digital TAC gauge (6Y8-8350T-D0-00) to try displaying the F70 engine data on the Yamaha TAC gauge parallel to the NEMA 2000 Axiom display to narrow down the problem and also have a spare RPM displaying gauge on the water when Axiom fail to display the RPM.

(1) Please confirm with the Yamaha digital gauge, I can remove the Yamaha CL gateway (6YG-8A2D0-00-00) as shown in attached wiring diagram.
(2) Please let me know other ideas that I can do to troubleshoot the Axiom MFD and 6YG CL gateway integration problems.
(3) Please confirm my diagram is correct with 3 additional item to buy (I am also asking Yamaha to help about this):
(3.1) Yamaha digital TAC gauge (6Y8-8350T-D0-00)
(3.2) 12 feet pigtail harness (6Y8-82521-51-00)
(3.3) GPS powerlead wire (6YD-83553-00-00)

RE: [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-08-19 01:25 PM

Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum ray18,

Please additionally note that the release of LightHouse 3 v3.11 is imminent and it would be recommended that any testing be held off until this software has been released and installed within the MFD.

It is not recommended that the engine system be interfaced to the MFD in the manner shown within your diagram ... engine systems should not be interfaced to a marine electronics backbone without an engine gateway bridging the engine system to the marine electronics backbone. Were a technician to visit the vessel, fault isolation would be initiated by using the MFD's diagnostics features list other devices which have been interfaced to the system's powered and properly terminated marine electronics NMEA 2000 backbone. Should no devices be detected, then a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 & free Actisense NMEA Reader PC software, etc.) would be interfaced to the marine electronics backbone. The technician would then use the analyzer to verify that data from the MFD as well as data from the engine system was present on the backbone. Engine data is an all or nothing affair. That said, while a PGN may feature several different engine data items, the list of which engine data items will be populated will vary based upon the engine make, model, and serial number (consult engine manufacturer for specifics). NMEA 2000 PGN 127489 Engine Parameters, Dynamic is the NMEA 2000 PGN in which engine hours is transmitted. Within MFDs running LightHouse 3 v3.10.71 and later software, NMEA 2000 PGNs may be monitored within the MFD's diagnostics features (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->NMEA DEVICES & MESSAGES->NMEA MESSAGES).

Should the NMEA 2000 analyzer indicate that PGN 127489 Engine Parameters is being populated with engine hours and the MFD is reporting dashes for engine hours, then please respond accordingly.

RE: [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - ray18 - 11-19-19 10:03 AM

ok, many thanks for the elaboration. Much of this is beyond my brain.
(1) wow, we can view the devices output of NMEA 2000 raw data and save the log onto sd card! Essentially a NMEA2000 device and data scanner and logger. Many thanks for the excellent function. - I learned something today.
(2) bummer, with my 2019 Yamaha 70 hp F70 pigtailed to CL multi-hub and Yamaha gateway 6YG-8A2D0-00-00 connected to multi-hib and NMEA2000 backbone and Axiom 9". I use the Axiom network function to diagnose using LH 3.1142, but I didn't see my F70 shown in the device scan, so no NMEA 2000 is streaming into Axiom 9 ". I just remembered my starting battery ran low in my last fishing trip because I had it to share with my 24 volts trolling motor.Could a dying battery cause my F70 motor ECM to stop sending data to gateway? I think I may need a ECM reset like what we do for cars using OBD II reset tool. If yes, is there a cheap solution to reset the Yamaha 70 hp ECM other than taking it to the dealer?
(3) isn't LH 3.11.42 essentially a NMEA 2000 analyzer? Why do I still need to get a NMEA 2000 analyzer?

Many thanks for your help to troubleshoot my stop displaying engine data problem?

RE: [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-19-19 11:21 AM

ray18,

Q1. Could a dying battery cause my F70 motor ECM to stop sending data to gateway?
A1. Yes. All product testing / verification of operational state should only be performed after fully charging the vessel's batteries.

A2. I think I may need a ECM reset like what we do for cars using OBD II reset tool. If yes, is there a cheap solution to reset the Yamaha 70 hp ECM other than taking it to the dealer?
A2. It is recommended that this question be addressed to Yamaha.

Q3. isn't LH 3.11.42 essentially a NMEA 2000 analyzer? Why do I still need to get a NMEA 2000 analyzer
A3. To a limited degree, yes. However, N2K analyzers such as that which was previously referenced will yield a greater down of the data within NMEA 2000 PGNs. Such gateways can often be useful in diagnosing issues on the engine backbone as well.

RE: [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - ray18 - 02-26-20 06:22 AM

Ok, Yamaha dealership RESET my 2019 Yamaha 70 hp outboard ECU (computer) from sending engine data to motor #3 to default motor #1, and my engine data started to show again!

Would a Gateway RESET in the Advance Tab of the Yamaha app within LH 3 do the RESET as well, so I don't have to beg the dealership to RESET it in the future?

It cost them 2 hours to RESET? and me $270 labor charge to my wallet!!!

RE: [CA11] Yamaha CL 6YG stopped displaying 2019 F70 Yamaha engine data - troubleshooting - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 02-26-20 09:42 AM

ray18,

While I believe that the LightHouse 3 Yamaha App's Reset Gateway feature is exclusively designed to reset the configuration settings stored within Yamaha's NMEA 2000 Gateway (6YG-8A2D0-00-00) ... per the feature's titling, I will contact our engineering team regarding whether they have any information regarding whether the Gateway Reset of the Yamaha app will further affect Yamaha engine ECUs.