Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom/Autopilot with Garmin NMEA 2000 heading sensor
12-19-19, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 02:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom/Autopilot with Garmin NMEA 2000 heading sensor
This is a followup question to an earlier post regarding the requirement for a heading sensor with autopilot installation.

If it IS a requirement for a heading sensor on new autopilot setups, would any NMEA 2000 heading sensor be an acceptable device in place of a EV1?

Additionally, I would hope an installed radar would be compatible as well and allow for MARPA, etc functions to be enabled.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-19, 02:23 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom/Autopilot with Garmin NMEA 2000 heading sensor
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum zigzag930,

Q1. If it IS a requirement for a heading sensor on new autopilot setups, would any NMEA 2000 heading sensor be an acceptable device in place of a EV1?
A1. Negative. The EV-1 is more than a heading sensor ... it is the autopilot's course computer.

Q2. Additionally, I would hope an installed radar would be compatible as well and allow for MARPA, etc functions to be enabled.
A2. Indeed this is so. The only feature which wouldn't be supported by heading from the EV-1 would be the ClearCruise feature for IP cameras. The latter requires that the system additionally include an AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor.
12-19-19, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 04:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, I'm totally confused now. IF the EV1 is the course computer, does it connect directly to a hydraulic drive or is a Control Unit still required. I was of the impression that the logic (course computer functions) were in the ACU and the EV1 was sending NMEA course information to the ACU.

Thanks
12-19-19, 04:58 PM
zigzag930,

Q. Ok, I'm totally confused now. IF the EV1 is the course computer, does it connect directly to a hydraulic drive or is a Control Unit still required. I was of the impression that the logic (course computer functions) were in the ACU and the EV1 was sending NMEA course information to the ACU.
A. Prior to the introduction of Evolution autopilots, the modular Raymarine autopilots consisted of an autopilot control head and a course computer. These legacy raymarine course computers combined the functions of course computation and actuator control within a single device. The legacy autopilot course computer was also task with determining heading and rudder angle using sensors which were interfaced to the autopilot. The design of Evolution autopilots consist of three components: EV-1/2, ACU, and p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head.

The function of the EV-1/2 is to perform course computation and to sense heading, roll/heel, pitch, and acceleration.

The ACU is the Evolution autopilot's actuator control unit. The ACU will be interfaced to the drive unit and to the autopilot's rudder feedback unit.

The p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head is responsible for configuring and controlling the Evolution autopilots. Should the Evolution autopilot be interfaced to an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL Raymarine MFD running the latest available Raymarine product software update, then the MFD may be used to commission, configure, and control an Evolution autopilot, making a p70S/p70RS/p70/p70R autopilot control head unnecessary (but still considered a best installation practice to include) for all Evolution autopilot features except for Power Steering Mode and Fishing Patterns.