Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] St60+ Instrument Replacement
01-10-20, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-20 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] St60+ Instrument Replacement
My ST60+ instruments are getting more difficult to read, especially in bright sunlight. It would seem to me that the new i60 and newer instruments with a black background would be much easier to read due to the big difference in contrasting color of background and data. My issue is that I have 5 instruments,neatly installed in a built in pod over the companionway. Those 5 are a wind indicator, a close hauled wind indicator, a depth , a speed and a what is labeled as a Graphic display (allows me to select from virtually any data on board and display it in a number of formats)
I also have the same Graphic display below at the navigation station. Two MFDs, one in the cockpit is an eS 128 and below is an eS 98. Autopilot control head is i70.
In looking over the various instrument offerings it appears that there is not an i60 or i70 stand alone depth or speed. It also appears that the wind instruments are i60 and the multiple, selectable data display is i70. To replicate what I have in more vivid color it appears I would need both i60 wind instruments and 4 i70 displays, one of which would be set for depth, one for speed etc.
I actually have two questions, first am I missing something in reviewing available instruments, and second, what would you suggest? As a bit more information we sail shorthanded virtually all the time, so we like to have the data we want displayed for an entire passage and we want to be able to see the essential data when sitting in front of the wheel and MFD display.
Thanks for any input.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-20, 11:44 AM
RE: [CA11] St60+ Instrument Replacement
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lkgreen,

Q1. Autopilot control head is i70.
A1. The i70 is not an autopilot control head. I suspect that you may have intended to specify that the system features a p70 autopilot control head.

Q2. In looking over the various instrument offerings it appears that there is not an i60 or i70 stand alone depth or speed.
A2. This is actually the function of Raymarine's i50 instruments. Raymarine offers i50 Depth, i50 Speed, and i50 Tridata instruments.

Q3. It also appears that the wind instruments are i60 and the multiple, selectable data display is i70.
A3. Correct.

Q4. To replicate what I have in more vivid color it appears I would need both i60 wind instruments and 4 i70 displays, one of which would be set for depth, one for speed etc.
A4. To replicate exactly what you have, an i50 Depth, i50 Speed, i60 Wind, i60 Close Hauled Wind, and i70S MFID would be required. Alternatively, you could repeat all of these features with i70S MFIDs as you have suggested.

While these instruments may be installed in a manner which would support SeaTalk rather than SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, it would be considered to be a best installation practice to install them each as an individual spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. By doing so, the maximum number of features and data communications between the instruments and other system components will be supported. Additionally, this method of installation will be required one desire to or need to update the software within the instruments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply