Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-100 /Axiom Install
01-18-20, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-20 03:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-100 /Axiom Install
I have purchased the EV-100 Wheel Pilot Auto Pilot and an Axiom 9 chartplotter.. I also purchased the ST1 to STng Converter E22158. Now I just need to get it all installed.

I'm getting rid of an old Garmin GPS and an old Raymarine St-4000+ Wheel Pilot. I currently have Wind/Depth/Speed Autohelm ST-50+ instruments.

I finally opened my pod and looked at the wiring mess the previous owner left me. Photo included just for your amusement. :) I was expecting to plug in the E22158 SeaTalk three prong plug into one of the instruments. As you can see in the photo, it looks like the old ST-4000+ AutoPilot was designed to accommodate the SeaTalk plug that came with the ST1-STng Converter, but there are no other instruments that will accomodate that plug. As you can also see in the photo the previous installer didn't use the plug and just plugged each individual wire in. Looks like the Data Wire and the 12volt negative is plugged in and the 12volt+ wire was cut since the network is getting power elsewhere.

#1 - Will I be okay just cutting the three prong connector off of the ST1-STng converter cable and splice the DataWire and 12 volt negative wires that were originally plugged into the ST-4000 auto pilot control head onto the Converter cable. Obviously the other end of the cable (YELLOW) would then plug into the Converter? If that won't work, then please let me know what my other options are.

#2 - I believe I still need to buy the Micro-C Device Net cable to plug the Axiom into the network. Will that cable allow me to plug the other end into one of the White Spur ports that's going to be available on the ST1 / STng converter block? If not, where will that end of the cable get plugged in at? Hoping that it doesn't have to be run all the way to STng network block since that's going to be mounted quite a distance from the Axiom9.

#3 - As I mentioned above, the ST1 network is getting power. I seem to remember reading that power has to come from the STng block, rather than from the ST1 network. I can't find where I read that, so I just want to make sure. If so, then I'll have to start digging around below the deck to try to find where it's getting power, because there are only network cables visible in the instrument pod after getting rid of all the wires from the old Garmin GPS and ST-4000+ autopilot..

#4 - Based on what you know about my system, is there anything else that comes to mind that I'm going to need to buy in order to get all of this running.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe --

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-20, 04:55 PM
RE: [CA11] EV-100 /Axiom Install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joe,

Q1. Will I be okay just cutting the three prong connector off of the ST1-STng converter cable and splice the DataWire and 12 volt negative wires that were originally plugged into the ST-4000 auto pilot control head onto the Converter cable. Obviously the other end of the cable (YELLOW) would then plug into the Converter? If that won't work, then please let me know what my other options are.
A1. While technically possible to do as you have suggested, it is considered to be a best installation practice that any SeaTalk bus be powered by the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s). Accordingly, it would be recommended that the circuit supplying power to the ST50+ instruments be disconnected from the ST50+ instruments and instead be connected to the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q2a. I believe I still need to buy the Micro-C Device Net cable to plug the Axiom into the network. Will that cable allow me to plug the other end into one of the White Spur ports that's going to be available on the ST1 / STng converter block?
A2a. Yes. As indicated within the FAQ found here, any of following adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable

Q2b. Hoping that it doesn't have to be run all the way to STng network block since that's going to be mounted quite a distance from the Axiom9.
A2b. As the greatest supported length for a spur is 6m, should the MFD be located more than 6m from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, then the backbone will need to be extended to within 6m of the MFD.

Q3. As I mentioned above, the ST1 network is getting power. I seem to remember reading that power has to come from the STng block, rather than from the ST1 network. I can't find where I read that, so I just want to make sure. If so, then I'll have to start digging around below the deck to try to find where it's getting power, because there are only network cables visible in the instrument pod after getting rid of all the wires from the old Garmin GPS and ST-4000+ autopilot..
A3. This is indeed correct and has been so indicated within many threads some FAQs. As indicated above, one of the cables is supplying power to the ST50+ instruments. This source will instead be used to power the ST-STng Converter.

Q4. Based on what you know about my system, is there anything else that comes to mind that I'm going to need to buy in order to get all of this running.
A4. Not really. As I believe you are aware, the ST-STng Converter will be installed as a backbone component (i.e. connected to other backbone networking components via SeaTalkng Backbone Cable).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply