Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
06-07-16, 02:27 PM
Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
I am installing a NMEA2000 network (using Maretron cables and connectors) and would like to connect it with my SeaTalk1 network. My SeaTalk1 network connects several ST60+ instrument displays and an ST4000 autopilot. The NMEA2000 network will connect a Maretron WSO100 Weather Station/Wind Sensor, a Maretron DSM150 Display and a Raymarine a95 Multifunction Display. The SeaTalk1 network connection will be in the middle of the NMEA2000 network with the WSO100 connected at one end of the NMEA2000 network and the a95 MFD connected at the other end of the NMEA2000 network.

Do I need the Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158) to connect the two networks and share data between the devices on both networks? Do I connect the SeaTalk converter and the NMEA2000 network with a “backbone” connection (with the NMEA2000 backbone connecting to both ends of the SeaTalk converter using DeviceNet Adapter Cables A06045 and A06078)? Will the NMEA2000 supply the power to the SeaTalk converter and the SeaTalk1 network or does power need to be connected to the SeaTalk converter?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-16, 02:59 PM
RE: Connecting SeaTalk1 and NMEA2000 using the SeaTalk Converter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rick,

Q1. Do I need the Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (E22158) to connect the two networks and share data between the devices on both networks?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Do I connect the SeaTalk converter and the NMEA2000 network with a “backbone” connection (with the NMEA2000 backbone connecting to both ends of the SeaTalk converter using DeviceNet Adapter Cables A06045 and A06078)?
A2. While the ST-STng Converter will be installed as a backbone component, it will need to be interfaced to the Maretron backbone using SeaTalkng Backbone Cables. Maretron offers field installable DeviceNet M/F plug which may be installed on the SeaTalkng backbone cables to permit one end of each cable to be mated to Maretron backbone.

Q3. Will the NMEA2000 supply the power to the SeaTalk converter and the SeaTalk1 network or does power need to be connected to the SeaTalk converter?
A3. The backbone will supply power to SeaTalk bus. Care must be taken to ensure that the source of power for the SeaTalk bus (often the red terminal of an autopilot's SeaTalk port) will not be connected to the SeaTalk bus.

Additionally, each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will support a SeaTalk bus of up to five SeaTalk devices. Should the SeaTalk bus feature more than five devices then the bus will need to be divided into smaller busses of no less than five devices each.
06-07-16, 08:14 PM
Would connecting the ST-STng Converter to the NMEA2000 network via a spur be an option?
06-08-16, 01:21 PM
rickmcc,

Q: Would connecting the ST-STng Converter to the NMEA2000 network via a spur be an option?
A: No.
06-10-16, 06:11 PM
Is there a reason I cannot use the Raymarine DeviceNet Adaptor Cables for connecting the ST-STng Converter backbone to the Maretron backbone? It looks like the Raymarine DeviceNet Adapter plug is the same as the Maretron DeviceNet Micro-C plug. Why would I need to use the Maretron field installed plug on the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable?
06-13-16, 01:01 PM
rickmcc,

The SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (M) and SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) Adapter Cables are designed to support interfacing third party NMEA 2000 devices as spurs to a SeaTalkng backbone. These adapter cables are not suited to interfacing a third party NMEA 2000 backbone a Raymarine backbone. Per the prior response, the ST-STng Converter will be installed as a backbone component, not a spur component. The ST-STng Converter will need to be interfaced to the Maretron backbone cable(s) using SeaTalkng Backbone Cables which have been adapted using Maretron's field installable DeviceNet M/F plugs.
06-13-16, 04:36 PM
Thank you. I understand... Backbone to backbone and spur to spur. I thought the physical cables might be the same and therefore interchangeable.
07-09-16, 11:19 AM
Good Morning Chuck,

I am also starting the design for connect my Seatalk 1 instruments to N2K backbone, and I have a question regarding connecting the ST-STng Converter to the backbone. You stated

"Maretron offers field installable DeviceNet M/F plug which may be installed on the SeaTalkng backbone cables to permit one end of each cable to be mated to Maretron backbone".

Does this statement imply that one needs to cut one end of the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable and field install a Maretron connector?
07-17-16, 01:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-16 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have a similar problem. I am creating a Seatalk ng network with new instrumentation and MFDs. I will be using a DeviceNet cable for a NMEA 2000 connection to an AIS transponder that will make GPS/AIS data outputs to other NMEA 1083 devices. I have an ST6001 pilot controller which uses Seatalk 1 that I would like to link. I could do this with a NMEA1083 output to the transponder. However, I have purchased a controller kit which includes a Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng cable.
This cable has modular connectors and the ST6001 uses Seatalk 1 connections with wire ends. In order to use the Seatalk 1/ng cable, will it work to clip off the Seatalk 1 connector and strip the wires for connections?
07-18-16, 08:29 AM
pfaffk
Good Morning Chuck,

Q: I am also starting the design for connect my Seatalk 1 instruments to N2K backbone, and I have a question regarding connecting the ST-STng Converter to the backbone. You stated

"Maretron offers field installable DeviceNet M/F plug which may be installed on the SeaTalkng backbone cables to permit one end of each cable to be mated to Maretron backbone".

Does this statement imply that one needs to cut one end of the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable and field install a Maretron connector?

A: Yes.