Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] P70R: Unable to follow tracks from Garmin MFD
03-10-20, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-20 02:14 PM by codingparadox.)
[CA11] P70R: Unable to follow tracks from Garmin MFD
Hello! The boat we purchased several years ago has all Garmin MFDs on an N2k network, and then a P70R/EV-1 autopilot system on SeatalkNG, with an N2k/STNG bridge connecting the two. The P70R can see all of the devices on the N2k network EXCEPT the three newer Garmin chartplotters (1242, 942, and 741) -- it used to be able to see the ancient 5012, but I recently upgraded that to the 1242, but it still wasn't able to track from the 5012. However, any routes spat out by the Garmin aren't able to be tracked by the P70R -- it simply says No Navigation Data when you hit "Track". I found this post (http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=3007) from 2017 describing the problem with later versions of the software, but our P70R unit is on 2.17, much older than the version described there where the bug surfaced.

Is it likely that, upgrading the P70R to the latest version (and the EV-1 with it) will actually solve this problem?

Having no Raymarine MFDs, to do a firmware upgrade to check, we have to find an MFD, plug it into our network, perform the upgrades, and then recalibrate everything, which looks like a bit of a bear of a process. So, before I go through the expense and trouble of doing that, I'm hoping for some indication as to whether or not I'll actually be able to do the route-tracking when I'm done. Spending the next year doing the ICW and inland navigation on the great loop, it'd be pretty helpful to be able to follow meandering routes by the plotter, so I'm hoping to be able to come up with a solution. :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-20, 01:41 PM
RE: [CA11] P70R: Unable to follow tracks from Garmin MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum codingparadox,

The short answer is that a solution should be available to utilize your Garmin chartplotting products with Raymarine products. Raymarine products are designed to support NMEA 0183 and/or NMEA 2000 standards. Raymarine does not design workaounds to these standards to address third party products which deviate from these standards. While early software had an issue with respect to receiving proper navigational PGNs from Garmin chartplotting / MFD products associated with following a route, the latest available software for Raymarine's Evolution autopilots addresses this oversight. While we are not aware of any issues with currently manufactured Garmin chartplotting / MFD products, we are aware that some older Garmin chartplotting / MFD products may deviate from these standards and accordingly will continue to cause a no navigation condition to be reported. For the latter cases, it would be recommended that the Garmin chartplotting / MFD product be removed from the Evolution autopilot's backbone, that an Actisense NGW-1-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Gateway be interfaced to the Evolution autopilot's backbone, and that the NMEA 0183 input leads of the Actisense NGW-1-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Gateway then be interfaced to the Garmin chartplotting / MFD product.
03-10-20, 03:49 PM
Thanks Chuck!

I just did some more debugging to check it out, and the autopilot is actually not able to see any of the new garmin chartplotters. It used to be able to see just the old 5012 that we had on the device list, but I upgraded that to a 1242 a couple weeks ago, and it is no longer able to see it (or either of the other two newer Garmin MFDs on the network), but it is able to see everything ELSE on the N2k network. Updated the original post to reflect this.

So, with the EV-1 at 1.11 and the P70R at 2.17, do you have reasonable confidence that upgrading those to the latest versions will allow them to receive PGNs from the new Garmin MFDs?
03-10-20, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-20 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum codingparadox,

Updating the Evolution autopilot's software should make its communications with the current system no worse than they are at present. Performing the Pilot Factory Reset, Dockside Wizard, and cruise to determine the deviation table sensed by the EV-1 is a very simple process. While I can only respond that one of the two solutions provided will address the issue for you, I would certainly advocate updating the autopilot's software as it very early software and significant improvements have since been made to the Evolution autopilot software. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing options for updating Evolution autopilot software when the system does not include a compatible Raymarine MFD. As indicated previously, the Actisense NGW-1-STNG may be used to address the issue should the software update not do so.