Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic
03-11-20, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-20 02:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic
I've read some threads about this subject but still can't figure out how to properly connect my AIS700 to my E80 Classic. The current setup is an E80, VHF, Smartpilot and 4 ST60+ instruments. One of the ST60+ instruments is connected to a SeatalkNG Backbone.

The AIS700 is connected to this SeatalkNG backbone. On my navigation PC I receive all NMEA data (depth, wind, speed, rudder etc.) including the AIS data, so far all good. But the AIS data is not visible on the E80 in the cockpit (already changed the baudrate on the E80 to 38400).

Q1: I assume that the setup will not work with the reason that Seatalk1 data is converted to SeatalkNG but that the data on the SeatalkNG is not converted to Seatalk1 and therefore not picked up by the E80. Is this assumption correct?

If my assumption in Q1 is correct and therefore the setup will not work, I assume I then need to connect the AIS700 directly to the 0183 port of the MFD. I think the E80 is connected to the S3 SmartPilot (I THINK because the E80 can communicate with the autopilot and be controlled by the E80) but I'm not sure how it's done. I've attached an image with the current wiring on the S3. I assume One Seatalk input is used by the St60+ autopilot controller, I assume the other one is a Seatalk output. But both 0183 are empty which makes me doubt if the 0183 from the MFD is connected to the AP.

Q2: Based on the image, is the 0183 on the E80 connected to the AP?

Q3: If no, can I connect the AIS700 somehow to the AP to communicate with the E80 since data is exchanged between the 2 already?

Q4: If yes, which wires should I take since none of the colors match with the thread I found here http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=34

Q5: If Q4 is a NO as well, where could the 0183 output on the E80 lead to (except the SeatalkNG no additions have been made and all should be factory standard installed)? I've tried to follow the connected cable but wasn't able to find where it leads to.

Hope someone can clear some things up for me. Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-20, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-20 04:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Interfacing AIS700 to E80 Classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jacob,

Q1a. The AIS700 is connected to this SeatalkNG backbone.
A1a. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, an A/C/E-Series Classic MFD must be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to an AIS receiver/transceiver ... specifically to the 38400 BAUD leads of the AIS receiver/transceiver. Please refer to the referenced FAQ addressing the leads which will be used for each product. The A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs are not designed to process NMEA 2000 PGNs responsible for communicating AIS data.

Q1b. On my navigation PC I receive all NMEA data (depth, wind, speed, rudder etc.) including the AIS data, so far all good. But the AIS data is not visible on the E80 in the cockpit (already changed the baudrate on the E80 to 38400).
A1b. While this is the correct setting for a NMEA 0183 port to receive NMEA 0183 VDO and VDM sentences, it has no effect upon the MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 port.

Q2a. If my assumption in Q1 is correct and therefore the setup will not work, I assume I then need to connect the AIS700 directly to the 0183 port of the MFD.
A2a. Correct ... see my response to Q1a.

Q3. I think the E80 is connected to the S3 SmartPilot (I THINK because the E80 can communicate with the autopilot and be controlled by the E80) but I'm not sure how it's done. I've attached an image with the current wiring on the S3. I assume One Seatalk input is used by the St60+ autopilot controller, I assume the other one is a Seatalk output. But both 0183 are empty which makes me doubt if the 0183 from the MFD is connected to the AP.
A3. Should the autopilot be communicating with the MFD, then it is quite likely interfaced to the autopilot via SeaTalk. The command sequence MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->EXTERNAL INTERACES->SEATALK->SEATALK DEVICES will list the devices which the MFD believes has been interfaced to its SeaTalk communications port. If the autopilot control head and/or course computer are not listed, use the REFRESH function key to refresh the SeaTalk devices list. While no NMEA 0183 leads have been interfaced to the autopilot course computer, it possible (although not likely) that the MFD's NMEA 0183 port has been interfaced to the autopilot control head's NMEA 0183 terminals.

Q4. Based on the image, is the 0183 on the E80 connected to the AP?
A4. See my response to Q3. You will need to examine the NMEA 0183 terminals of the autopilot control head.

Q5: If no, can I connect the AIS700 somehow to the AP to communicate with the E80 since data is exchanged between the 2 already?
A5. As SeaTalk communications protocol does not support communications of AIS data, it would not be possible to interface the AIS700 to the NMEA 0183 interface of the autopilot course computer to have it in turn bridge to SeaTalk. See the previously referenced FAQ addressing how the AIS700 must be interfaced to the system to permit the MFD to display AIS data.

Q6: If yes, which wires should I take since none of the colors match with the thread I found here http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=34
A6. In fact, the colors of the AIS700's Power/NMEA 0183 Cable and the MFD NMEA 0183 Cable supplied with the E-Series Classic MFD are exactly. See page 33 of the E-Series Classic MFD Installation Guide. See page 34 of the AIS700 Installation Guide.

Q7: If Q4 is a NO as well, where could the 0183 output on the E80 lead to (except the SeatalkNG no additions have been made and all should be factory standard installed)? I've tried to follow the connected cable but wasn't able to find where it leads to.
A7. The NMEA 0183 output leads of an E-Series Classic MFD were commonly connected to the NMEA 0183 input leads of a DSC VHF radio to supply the radio with GPS data. As indicated within the FAQ which I have previously referenced, the NMEA 0183 leads of any NMEA 0183 devices which are presently interfaced the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable may instead be connected to the corresponding 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 leads of the AIS700. The chart within the previously specified FAQ addresses the specific situation where the AIS700's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads have been interfaced to the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads of a VHF radio. The chart additionally addresses the specific situation where the AIS700's 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 input leads have been interfaced to the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 out leads of a NMEA 0183 device. One chart addresses bidirectional communications with a VHF radio to permit the MFD to receive DSC position reports while the other chart addresses communications with an autopilot outputting fast heading data to permit the MFD to receive fast heading and rudder updates.
03-12-20, 11:25 AM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the quick (and extended) reply. You were right, the NMEA 0183 was not connected to the AP but to the VFH instead (with a wrong cable). I did connect a new NMEA cable to the MFD output and connected all the cables as you stated in your earlier charts to the AIS. The only difference is I have a RAY54E VHF which only has 2 input cables. I've used the purple and pink from your chart and the VHF is receiving GPS.

Everything works now as it should. Thanks a lot for pushing me in the right direction!
03-12-20, 11:40 AM
You're welcome.