Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD Radar installation questions
06-07-16, 10:55 PM
HD Radar installation questions
I have a 28' walk-around fishing boat with a hard top.
I recently installed an A98 MFD and EV 100 Autopilot. It has an old radar unit mounted so I was going to install a Quantum so I wouldn't have to run any new cables up top as I already have power up there.
But after reading Chuck's recommendations, I've decided to go with the Raymarine RD418HD 4kW HD Digital Radome mostly due to the new "bird" feature. I'm assuming this is the best choice for a small fishing boat?
I have Seatalk ng cabling for the Autopilot and MFD. I'm reading that this radome uses Seatalk hs cabling? What is the difference? Exactly what do I need to make this unit work with my A98?
Should I make some sort of "wedge" to angle the dome forward as I'm sure the boat will ride bow high a lot of the time. I don't know if this unit has a wide enough beam to make this unnecessary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-16, 10:24 AM
RE: HD Radar installation questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Vettepro,

Q1. I've decided to go with the Raymarine RD418HD 4kW HD Digital Radome mostly due to the new "bird" feature. I'm assuming this is the best choice for a small fishing boat?
A1. Yes

Q2. The Radome does not use a SeaTalkhs cable. The Radome is interfaced to the system using a Digital Radar Cable. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to add radar features to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Q3. Should I make some sort of "wedge" to angle the dome forward as I'm sure the boat will ride bow high a lot of the time. I don't know if this unit has a wide enough beam to make this unnecessary.
A3. A properly installed radome should be angled to compensate for bow rise at the speed that the vessel is typically operated at when using radar. Failure to do so may adversely affect radar performance at closer ranges. The vessel's beam is not a factor in such considerations.
06-09-16, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 07:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck
If I'm reading this correctly, the digital radar cable will connect directly to my A98 via the Raynet port without the need for any adapters or switches.
06-10-16, 07:22 AM
Vettepro,

Q: If I'm reading this correctly, the digital radar cable will connect directly to my A98 via the Raynet port without the need for any adapters or switches?
A: Yes. As long as the MFD has an open Ethernet Network (RayNet) socket, then the Digital Radar Cable may indeed simply be connected to power and to the MFD's unused Network socket.
06-10-16, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 01:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Excactly what I wanted to hear.
Again, Thank You
06-10-16, 01:26 PM
You're welcome.