Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Mounting Speakers near a Radar dome and radar wire
04-02-20, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-20 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Mounting Speakers near a Radar dome and radar wire
I am considering mounting speakers in my electronics box. When placing the speakers in the electronics box it affects my compass by 1 degreee. Both on the ritchie compass and on my axioms.

That said I think I can live with 1 degree off.

However I will be mounting the speakers within inches of the radar dome wire and within 1 foot from the radar dome on my hard top.

Can I expect any problems from installing speakers in this location.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-20, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-20 09:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Mounting Speakers near a Radar dome and radar wire
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Triple P.,

While speakers would potentially pose an issue with magnetic north seeking devices such as the compass which you have referenced, they should have no effect whatsoever upon the MFD (except for heading data related impacts associated with electronic magnetic north seeking compass which may be interfaced to the system). I would likewise expect no impact to the radar performance of the system, especially Digital/HD Digital/Super HD Digital, and Quantum systems, as there are no magnetic north seeking sensors within these transducers and they rely upon Ethernet rather than video signal transmissions within the radar cable.
04-19-20, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-20 10:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

That said I got my boat in the water yesterday. Everything seemed to work as expected with the new speakers installed. However, the Boat Icon on my Axiom 12 MFD seems to be kicked facing in the wrong direction. I am wondering if the magnetism of the speakers is affecting the RS150 heading sensor.

Is there a way I can re calibrate it or should I maybe simply dial it in by turning it on its mast such that the icon is facing in the right direction once more?

Thanks,
Paul
04-20-20, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-20 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Paul,

Q. I am wondering if the magnetism of the speakers is affecting the RS150 heading sensor.
A1. Negative. With the exception of Raymarine's AR200 Stabilization Module, Raymarine's GPS sensors do not support heading output and are not magnetic north seeking devices. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.